SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meek95

Can someone just TELL me which hood to buy?!

meek95
11 years ago

After spending what seems like eons researching refrigerators, ranges, dishwashers, etc. (including countless hours reading GW threads) I am exhausted and not up to tackling hoods.

I understand baffle vs. mesh filters, CFM calculations, recommended width of the hood, and the various types: chimney, wall, undercabinet, liner.

What I don't understand is "squirrel cages", centrifugal fans, fan blade, turbine, etc. I watched a youtube video on how to clean a Proline hood that had baffle filters and a centrifugal fan (which required unscrewing the cage and dismantling the fan). Are most hoods constructed this way? Pictures of some hoods show two fans underneath, are they not covered by filters? I can't tell what's going on inside this Kobe: http://www.koberangehoods.com/product/CH-122U-SQB.html.

I want a hood to be quiet (not all mfrs. state their sone or decibel level), easy to clean, moderately priced, baffle filters, internal blower, 600+CFM. I think our ducting is 7" (will not be changed). It needs to be undercabinet and not very tall (around 10" is ok). It will cover a 36" range with 6 burners (yes, you GW'ers convinced me to upgrade from a 30" range).

Can someone educate me on about what's going on inside the hood or point me to the thread that explains it? Thanks!!

Comments (5)