SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cookingmama_gw

Help needed with fridge selection

cookingmama
14 years ago

I have spent countless hours pouring over the reviews and visited the appliance store twice to look at the fridges and it's almost back to square one.

Fellow GWebers, I need your help!!

(In advance, apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings through my comments on the various brands).

Here are the considerations

1. Available space is upto 36 inches and need counter depth.

2. Don't like french doors because of the iffy door closing mechanism that most models have (I tried some of them in the store and I'm not comfortable) and the chopped-up door storage.

3. Don't like bottom freezers but I don't like SXS narrow freezers more.

4. Need much more refrigerator space in the kitchen than freezer space. I have a pantry space (currently a water heater/recycling/laundry area) which will be finished some time in the future, but is a functional space now and can hold an appliance.

5. Don't need ice/water on the door.

6. Don't want to go overboard on the $$$ but have determined that the fridge is the most used appliance in the family (4 of us incl 2 kids) and am therefore willing to spend more if I find the right one.

Given these considerations, I have the following options

1. Miele 30" all-fridge + 24" freezer drawer (F&P) in the kitchen and an all-freezer (Electrolux) in the pantry

Estd.$ 10,000 after taxes

Pros: Tons of storage, love the interior and the exterior look (better than the Thermadors)

Cons: split storage between kitchen and pantry esp. the bulk of freezer storage ; ice will be in the pantry ; lots of $$$

2. Miele 36" fridge/freezer and another smaller fridge/freezer (any brand) in the pantry

Capacity: Not as much as #1

Estd. $ 8500 after taxes

Pros: Sufficient freezer space, great looking, freezer organization not bad

Cons: Splitting up the fridge storage may be a bigger pain than splitting up freezer storage

3. Thermador 36" single door/bottom freezer (without ice dispenser) - almost same capacity as #2, marginally cheaper but do not like interior as much as #2

4. Thermador SXS - too chopped up, both interiors and door storage

5. Thermador columns - don't have the space

6. Saw the Liebherrs, but did not find the interiors exciting and worth the price.

7. Free-standing FD or single door/bottom freezer - haven't found one that has great features, reliable quality & service and looks great. Would love to not have to spend tons on the built-ins.

Appreciate your help!

Comment (1)