SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kats_meow

Need house plan feedback

13 years ago

Below is the initial house plan we've received. Would appreciate comments. There are some things that already will need to be changed. DH and I plan for this to be our retirement home.

Bedroom 2 and 3 will be used by teenagers. The Dining Room is to be converted to my study. DH will use Bedroom 2 as his study but it could be converted to bedroom use if necessary. The bath with a shower was supposed to be Bath 2, not Bath 3. My kids don't use a tub. It is also to be done as a handicap accessible shower just in case that is ever needed. We added Bath 3 (instead of having a powder room) so as to have one tub in the house.

{{gwi:1432330}}

A few comments/questions:

1. Do we need the island in the kitchen? (Am X-posting kitchen to kitchen forum). I do not cook a great deal and only 1 cook will usually be in the kitchen. I don't need the island for cabinet space. The issue to me is whether it is a help or a barrier in the kitchen. If I do need it, is it necessary to have a sink in it? If not needed, I would just as soon get rid of it but will keep it if the walks will be too long other wise.

2. The utility room is too narrow. It is about the width of the one we had in the house we recently sold and it was a constant annoyance because it was too narrow. I think I don't want to have stuff on 2 parallel walls and want it on one long wall and the wall at the end of the room (i.e. the outside wall). I really like the drop zone pantry location though.

3. The master bath layout needs work. I wanted split vanities and want the bath so it could be converted to handicap if necessary. I want the toilet room moved so that the wall enclosing it could be removed to open up that room to the rest of the bathroom in case we ever needed to really use it long term for someone in a wheelchair. I don't like "tunnel" master bathrooms and feel this doesn't make use of the corner of the bath. I will probably convert the door to the master closet to a pocket door (in generally most doors in the house will be 3' doors).

4. In my office (dining room) the closet is nice but the doors interfere with my plans for that room. Perhaps make that closet either open shelves with no door or a pocket door?

5. I think the garage might need to be a little bigger. I will have a minivan and DH is thinking of getting a Suburban.

Comments (5)