SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

How to repair cracked old grout?

We have a ceramic tiled shower wall that needs repair. One row of tiles up from the shower pan the grout is cracked. How do we repair this? I assume dig out anything we can and fill? The tiles are NOT loose: it looks to me like settling occurred and it cracked there instead of lower at the shower pan. ItÂs a 25 year old townhouse, second floor. We are putting it on the market this week. This shower was seldom used in a dark-ish bathroom so we did not notice it until taking a close look at everything with a buyerÂs critical eye.

Is there a special grout we should use for repair or just standard white grout? It looks like the previous owner filled up the same crack with something really hard, harder than the regular grout. So this line is now filled up to or above the surface of the tiles. (Meaning there is no longer a recess at the grout line) If we just fill it and not trench it out (I donÂt know the term for this) the repair will be even higher. The repair is not loose either, just cracked.

Assuming we DO need to get it out or at least enough to fillÂIs there a tool that works well for this? So far we have tried a utility knife, a putty knife, and a screwdriver. We can get a little off but it is really hard.

Thanks!

Comments (3)