SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nakeddog

Help 1 year old pebble shower floor, grout deteriorating, cracks, etc

How do you remove a sliced pebble shower floor without hurting the kerdi membrane below it?

Do you leave the mesh the pebbles came on and try to pull the pebbles off of the mesh?

I had a water test done before tiling began and now I am having cracks in the grout around the tiles and some of the grout seems to be disintegrating in places, leaving pockets of low places. To my surprise, one tile stuck to my foot the other day and came out of where it was originally placed. The underneath of this free tile has only one 1/8" spot of adhesive where it was supposedly stuck to the mesh it was meant to hold onto.

I notice now numerous cracks, and areas of missing grout that must have broken in tiny bits and disintegrated down the drain have gone unnoticed. Only along 3 corners do the pebbles look grouted to the top, and other areas obviously should have more grout.

The tile man applied Schluter system all around, before he arrived I applied Kerdi board to the walls with Kerdi fasteners, covered with Kerdi tape as they directed. A 3"x6" wall tile was installed and shows no issues. The pan is the Schluter foam pain for corner showers, the drain is Kerdi, the drain has the Kerdi membrane and extra strips as Kerdi instructs it to be done.

At this point, I'm contemplating removing the sliced pebbles, I'm worried about the pan, and I'm worried if the stones have pressed into the foam shower pan despite the Kerdi membrane as some responses to other posts note stones and foam pans are a no, no, no!

Pictures included, please know that we live by the water of the Chesapeake Bay and our home water is conditioned for rust, etc, but it still shows rust in toilets and in the shower floor grout. Also, some areas of the shower floor were still wet when I took pictures.

Scroll down for the tile that popped out yesterday stuck to my foot.

# ...Lastly, the tile guy doesn't want to come back and "fix" this, so I'll take that as a blessing.

Please advise, thank you,

Comments (8)