SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abd1_gw

Frustrated with my BlueStar

abd1
12 years ago

I have a 30" RCS range. I've had it for about 3 years. When I first got it I remember the over door getting warm but not too hot. However, last year that door began getting stuck to the point that it actually got bent by having to yank so hard to open it. I contacted BlueStar and even though I was out of warranty, without issue they shipped me a new door. We were happy. It had vent openings along the top whereas the original didn't. This door worked flawlessly until this week and it now is getting stuck. I've also noticed that this door does heat up, along with the knobs and lip above the knobs if the over is on for more than 30 minutes. It gets hot enough that I make sure to keep my 4 and 2 year olds out of the kitchen. It may not be hot enough to burn just by touching but if you left a hand on it for 4-5 seconds it would, it would definately hurt my kids if they touched it. I don't have a good tool to take the temp, but all I can say is its uncomfortably hot. It also seems to be taking forever for the oven to heat up, even though I haven't timed this.

I love my range (when its working), but right now I'm currently concerned about keeping it. Since we've bought it we've replaced the over door once, the entire electrical system shorted out and had to be rewired, we've replaced 2 ignitors, one of the rack glides on the inside wall has broken off, one of the original racks that came with the range was bent and couldn't be used, the front burners don't ignite if you've recently turned on the oven because there's too much steam coming off the oven that the igniter is wet. Oh yeah, and the rivets holding together the oven floor have all busted off because the steel on the oven floor piece was flexing from heating up and cooling down. I've been defending this range and love the burner performance, cast iron top, and oven capacity, but now it looks like we need our 3rd door in as many years. Once I look at all these problems together I'm thinking I shouldn't have to deal with this for a $3000 range. Right now I'm thinking of posting it on craigslist for $1000 as is and looking to start over. Maybe I'll post this on a new thread and see if anyone has any ideas, but I doubt I'm alone with some of these problems.

Should I look into selling it? Even if I contact BlueStar and they send another door, how long will that one last? Will I need a new door every year?

Comments (8)