SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boymom_gw

My contractor INSISTS on grouting floor/wall shower joints

boymom
15 years ago

It's very odd. I asked him today if he was planning on using a matched caulk (to my grout) on the joints where the shower wall tile meets the floor, and he said no, he would be grouting it. I told him I'd read repeatedly that it was better to use caulk in these areas, and he insists this is incorrect. He says he will put caulk over the grout, after it's dry, but he literally refuses to just caulk--the same way he refuses to do other things that I know are substandard. (I can give examples, but trust me - he will turn down jobs rather than cut corners).

I asked him: won't his way cause the joints to crack like they have in my other bathrooms? He said yes, they will every couple of years in Southern California, no matter what. And that when they do, we should re-caulk over the grout.

So I'm completely confused. Is his merely an alternative opinion, or is he misinformed. He's a GC but specializes in tile, bathrooms and kitchens.

Like I said, I live in California, where the ground shifts constantly.

Sometimes I fear the internet is a bad thing - we all have so much information, some of us tend to question our hired experts. But then again... what should I do????

I need help from those of you who are professionals, because I want to be respectful. This man does beautiful work and prides himself on doing it correctly.

Comments (25)