SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

glass shower door, tiled shower curb & water containment

flseadog
15 years ago

We just had 2 different companies bid on doing our glass shower enclosure and received 2 different answers to our problem but bottom line price is about the same from both. Here is our problem: the shower curb is tiled rather than a solid piece of granite and it is too late to change this.

One company suggested putting a chrome threshold (for want of a better word) along the centerline of the curb to prevent water from seeping out to the floor. The shower opening is 54" and they say the best way to do the enclosure is with a fixed panel fastened to one wall and a door hinged to the opposite wall. The chrome threshold would run the entire length of the opening and the door would have a vinyl sweep at the bottom (I think they said vinyl).

The other company suggested French doors and no threshold of any kind. They noted that the curb was properly sloped so water should run into the shower. Also they will put sweeps on the bottom of both doors which would also keep water in. They felt that if the grout on the curb did get dirty it would be easier to clean if both doors opened and that the chrome strip would be more of a problem than a solution.

I have absolutely no experience with glass shower doors or fixed panels so I have no basis for evaluating their statements or suggestions. Which one sounds good to you? Or is this just a matter of preference or aesthetics? All opinions are greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus