SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

My oven door is out to get me! Help!

lkplatow
16 years ago

I had a kitchen aid slide-in range installed last week - it wasn't the range I wanted, but according to the specs, it was the only one that would fit my lower-than-normal counter height. Installation was problematic - it came down to a choice of leveling the range itself, which left a huge gap between the counter and the cooktop, or adjusting the range to fit the counter, which left it unlevel. We went with the latter option - the installers said the worst thing that could happen is my cakes would be crooked - no big deal. I'm fairly certain my old slide in range was also unlevel - there was no gap between the cooktop and the counter and my cakes were crooked in that range.

Well, I have noticed that on the new range, when I open the oven door, it doesn't seem to want to stay down. It either bounces back a little bit or sometimes even snaps all the way closed by itself. This is obviously quite dangerous when the oven and door are hot and I am trying to insert or remove something from the oven. It's only a matter of time til my hands get caught in and burned by the spontaneously-closing oven door.

I have a call out to repair and they are coming later this week. They seem to think that the only cure will be leveling the stove. I'm wondering if that's true since a) my last range was also unlevel and never had this problem and b) it's only a tiny bit off level - the bubble is still within the lines of the level, just not exactly centered. I'm hoping there's something they can do to the hinges to make them stay down better. In my old range (a fridgidaire), you could sort of feel a snap when you got the oven door all the way open, like it was locking the door into place. This one doesn't have that snap, and I'm wondering if it should.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any tips? I'm pretty discouraged, since the right way to fix this is to remove the countertops and set them level and to the proper height, but our kitchen is less than 10 years old and I really didn't want to have to go through that right now - I was hoping I could eek another 10 years out of these new appliances and by then, I'd be ready for all new countertops and a little kitchen remodel. That's why I bought this stove in the first place - if I was going to go through all the hassle of correcting the countertop height, I would have selected a different range (this was the only range where the minimum countertop height requirement fit our countertops).

Help!

Comment