SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twocats_wy

Converting to thermostatic bathtub valve/fixture in tiled wall

twocats_wy
17 years ago

Has anyone converted from a two-handle faucet to a thermostatic valve arrangement in a bathtub area while keeping the existing tiled wall?

I have a basic, two-handle American Standard tub fixture w/ a handshower attached to the diverter spout (no riser). I would **like** to update the valve to a thermostatic one. There is an access panel in the vanity that adjoins the tub divider wall, so I **think** a plumber could change out the valve from there w/o having to open the wall.

Problem is I haven't found a thermostatic valve w/ a trim piece that would cover the existing handle holes in the ceramic tile. The current faucet handles are your basic 8-inch-on-center w/ escutcheon plates, but I would need a trim piece that's at least 10 inches wide to cover the two existing holes in the tile.

The closest I've found is a 9 3/8-wide trim piece in the Hansgrohe Interaktiv line. Also found a 9 1/16 "Grohmix" on the Grohe site. HG has a "Citterio" wall-mounted tub filler that's available w/ a 14 1/4" inch-wide trim plate, but apparently it's not thermostatic & would require installation of another component in the plumbing to provide pressure-balancing capability. Grohe & HG both have exposed thermostatic tub fillers, but their centers wouldn't line up with the existing holes, plus they have integrated spouts, which wouldn't work in my situation.

I've also considered an arrangement where I would add a handshower with a wall outlet in one of the existing holes & have the faucet valve & trim slightly off center to cover the other hole, but haven't decided if I would like that idea.

I guess my questions are, then, can anyone recommend another solution, or, if not, is there way to either remove & re-position a few existing tiles or to install a couple of new ones around the new fixture?

The tile on the tub walls is the same as in the rest of the bath -- a 4x4 (approx.) ceramic that's presumed to be original to the house (1958/9). I don't have extra pieces & the pattern is one that's no longer available (no surprise there). From peering through the access panel, the tile backing appears to be whatever the late 50s equivalent of sheetrock was, but the tub area still seems to be sound, so I don't want to do any more extensive remodeling at this time.

I saw a link in another message to a company that specializes in replacement discontinued tiles. I think I would also be OK w/ using a few pieces of coordinating tile just around the faucet trim area, if that's possible. If not, then I think I'll just keep the existing fixture. This is the only tub in the house, but it is currently used as a guest bath & gets very little use.

TIA for any ideas.

Comments (5)