SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctlady_gw

Tile over tile?

ctlady_gw
15 years ago

I'm getting conflicting information from contractors and tile installers about whether or not it's "okay" to install new tile over an existing tile floor. The existing floors are in perfectly good shape -- just dated and the wrong colors, etc. This is a late 1950s house, so I'm told the floors are probably set in a thick (4"?) mud base. IF finished height is not a problem (not clear to me yet but we do have to replace the thresholds anyway), is there any mechanical/technical reason to (or NOT to) tile over an existing tile floor? Both contractors who have looked at the job so far have suggested doing so, though one noted that the floor might have to be "roughed" up to get a good bond. I can't tell if they just don't want to deal with the demo (one said he couldn't imagine getting the old tile out without damaging the original mud base -- the tile installer who looked at the job thought it ought to be possible, once you get started, to remove the old tile easily without damage to the underlying mud) or if it really is acceptable practice to use the old tile as a base if it's in good shape.

The tile installer who looked at it said "absolutely not -- you NEVER want to go over existing tile!" So I'm confused....

What's the scoop?

Comments (9)