SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amandajoann

Please review our house plan!

amandajoann
10 years ago

I, like everyone else, love this forum. It has been a life saver for me through the beginning stages of home building. We have some plans that I have shown only to family at this point but could really use some unbiased opinions (no matter how bad it might be!)

A little background... Our lot is 2.64 acres and is located in Central Illinois. This is *fingers crossed* our forever home. We have been renting a very run down home while we save for this and the time has come that we need to get out. The house we are renting is full of mold and literally falling down. I am pretty sure that they plan to demo it when we move out!

We are a family of 4 (daugher 7, son 12). The home is one story with a walk out basement where the lot naturally slopes. The idea is to separate the living quarters from the sleeping quarters to reduce noise issues. The home will be facing North.

Now, my concerns before I post the plans. How bad is it to have to pass by the closet to get to the bathroom like that? I am not awfully worried about resale. I want as much natural light in the bathroom as possible. It also helps keep the bathroom further away since I am a light sleeper.

The plan is to put a counter top/cabinets on the empty wall in the laundry room to give more space for folding clothes.

That is a drop zone area by the stairwell. The stairwell leads to the basement.

Another concern is in the living room area. The dining room will be straight across from the kitchen in the back of the house which leaves a large "rectangle" for the living room. We had plans of putting an old family piano near the front door and turn that area in a 'sitting' area. While the back section will be our living room. I have contemplated moving the fireplace to the back corner but I am not sure if that is a great idea.

So, enough jabbering... Here are the plans and some rough elevations.

Thanks SO MUCH to everyone ahead of time. This is the last step in getting things finalized. I can't wait to be posting in the monthly house update thread. :)

Comments (5)