SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mountain_mist

Please review our preliminary plan for one level home

mountain_mist
4 years ago

I’m new here but have been reading for awhile with interest. We are planning to start building a home in the summer/fall. Some background: two empty nesters, DH is retired, I work PT from home. We currently live in a large 2 story on a farm in Virginia. We want to build a one story, 3 BR, 2 ½ BA home with unfinished basement in the 2300-2500 sf range and will be in the same area. We have a 10 acre, partly wooded lot with a slight hill that is where we will locate the house. We’re hoping to build a “simple” but comfortable house with minimal stairs and as low maintenance exterior as we can—brick.

Over a year ago we went to an open house and toured a new home that we really liked, except that it was not in the location we wanted. We liked the layout, mostly, and the finishes on a spec house we thought were very well done. We contacted the builder and saw several more homes he built and get along great with him. Our house will face south-southeast, so we wanted the side garage on the rear and the master bedroom in front which was the opposite of his plan. We found an online plan that we like a lot. We met with the builder and showed it to him, he has indicated that he can make the changes to the interior that we want. We're about ready to purchase the plan.

Changes we'd like: The 2 guest BRs will be set up differently, with a short hallway and bathroom between them. You’ll enter the bath from the hall, not J&J. (See my crude drawings) The office will lose the hall and large closet and become larger. There will be a small coat closet in it from the foyer, and a small closet adjacent to that for the office room. We will lose the 3rd bath in the center, giving that space to the living room. There will be a door and hall set up to get in from garage, not in the DR. The entry from the garage will be into a mud/laundry area. Sorry it's split in 2, I was trying to scan for a better photo, doesn't look like I got it.

The major changes will be between the garage and master BR. First, we will straighten the offset line of the house on the garage side. That adds approx. 3’ to the MBR and the rest of the area. We don’t like the closet access from the bath, so will switch the closet (and I thought about 2 closets, not sure) to enter from BR. We will have a shower only, no tub in bath & might expand the size of shower and bath. We want a ½ bath coming in from the garage. Builder suggested making a straight basement staircase instead of double. I’d like to have the washer, dryer, sink and water softener on the outside wall, also a closet for cleaning supplies somewhere and maybe a pantry. We need an area for the dogs to eat and get cleaned up when they come inside. There’s a lot of space in the area I outlined in red, which is at the top left of the 1st drawing, just not sure how to arrange it, suggestions welcome!

We’ll shorten the length of the front porch and probably the rear one too, but we do use our porches currently and will continue, I’m sure. The front is only 6’ deep; builder said easy to make it 8’. Also, we will be reversing the plan from right to left but I left in in the readable format; my drawing is reversed. Our garage will be on the NW corner.

Thanks for reading if you’ve made it this far. Would love critiques, suggestions, any help!

Comments (12)