SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tom8olvr_gw

ideas for a 'cheap' update

tom8olvr
16 years ago

We recently moved to a small raised ranch (the house we aren't thrilled with, but the yard - ie large lake in the back yard with 90' of waterfront, etc. we are thrilled with). History - house was built in 1974 and not much was changed since then! We tore out all the carpet (even in the bathroom - yuck) and put hard woods everywhere (except the baths). Changed some walls  configurations  kitchen is all ÂnewÂ.

Bathrooms we really havenÂt done much except: When we pulled up the carpet AND the FIRST layer of linoleum, there was the 1970Âs original linoleum (Âfake marble with flecks of glitter  oh la la!) underneath (that wasnÂt in all that bad a shape). So weÂve been living with it  but now weÂve decided enough is enough (even though EVERYTHING is in excellent shape in the room) time to get out of the 70Âs!

We want to Âupdate the counter top, sink, bath tub, tiled floors, and toilet so it doesnÂt look like the 70Âs.

We bought ceramic tile. Very nice  stuff happy with it.

WeÂve bought 2 different sink tops (solid surface) and I changed my mind and returned it. Ideas on sink tops and sinks?

Cabinets are fine great shape  I updated the pulls to brushed nickel and IÂm happy with it. Faucet is new  love that too (also nickel)Â

Toilet  IÂm thinking the American Standard Club Cadet III??? Anyone? Or should we just go with THE DRAKE (LOVE THE DRAKE Seinfeld reference) Toto? Thoughts? Something thatÂs WATER efficient would be great  the one we got is a guzzler (but still manages to get clogged!).

AND now the last question  the shower tub is in EXCELLENT shape  I think itÂs one of those cast iron jobbies  HEAVY no chips no discoloration, nothing HOWEVER itÂs an UGO color. Tile behind is also in great shape  but UG-LY ! Does anyone have experience with Miracle Method? I hate to spend the cost of putting in a replacement tub when the one there is not a bad tub (just ugly colored) and a resurface might be just what I need to make it look fresh and new.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miracle Method Link

Comments (10)