SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adeandrea

Air / Whirlpool tub purchase - Much data no decision!

adeandrea
17 years ago

Hello all,

As a perennial over-researcher, I often find myself spending too much time when making large purchases. So you should know where this is going...

I'm really struggling with the purchase of an air tub. They cost a good chunk of coin. Lots of options. Lots of vendors. Lots of opinions. There's absolutely a ton of information available on the web, but seemingly not exactly the right kind to help me make a decision. Ugh.

Here are some of the questions that I have that would get me (and perhaps others) much closer to a decision point:

- Vendor comparisons - I am amazed at how many vendors compete in this space. I suppose this can create competition, but it allows for much consumer confusion. Has anyone come across a chart that classifies the vendors into 3-4 tiers similar to the way that car brands can generally be sorted? Is it reasonable to think that there are super-premium, premium, luxury, and standard tiers? Has anyone seen (or would venture to throw together) such a classification?

- Value for dollar - I can't tell if the adage "you get what you pay for" fully applies in this market. It seems to me that with so many options, there are opportunities for lower quality goods to be sold with higher price tags. Any comments here? Are pricier brands going to add sufficient value for dollar over cheaper ones?

- Tub warranties - What are they REALLY worth? I see many manufacturers with 7 / 10 / 20 year warranties on the tub basin itself... but is this likely to actually break? And if it does, won't I have to still have to cover the high labor costs to have it replaced? Are warranties on the controls / electronics / motors more useful?

- Online vendor ratings - I've seen a list of vendors to be avioded (Homeclick family of companies, etc.) and a couple of recommended vendors (Ted @ Oldetymehardware.) How about vendors like tubz, qualitybath, dougstubs, otubs, .... Any site / list of comparing these based on price / customer service?

- Local retailer protection - It seems that some vendors (perhaps the better ones) are protecting their local retailers by refusing to drop ship for one retailer to an area covered by another. Is this standard practice for all vendors in this space, or does this only hold true with some? Ideas / methods of using this practice to the consumer's advantage?

- In-stock inventory discounting - A retailer tells me that 25% is the standard discount used by all retailers for (in this case) Bain Ultra tubs. But, they have an in-stock inventory of about 8 different selections which are signficantly cheaper. Should this tell me that I should call around to many dealers locally, regionall, etc. inquiring about in-stock inventory before settling for the standard 25% discount locally?

Wow, that's a lot. But perhaps this can serve as a thread that other potential whirpool / airtub purchasers can use to shorten the buying process.

Many thanks!

Alan

PS - In case others find them useful, here are the few nuggets of useful info that I've found:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg1213555915204.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg052244499120.html

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=736599

And I'm happy to share my 704 cell spreadsheet of oval airtubs between 66-70 inches with those who are interested!! ;-)

Comments (13)