SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

Liebherr fridge, troubles and repairs

1-water leaking onto bottom of freezer
2-making ice but also dispensing water in ice bin

It was a good choice at the time, 4-5yrs ago. 24inch built-in. 2 yrs in i discovered the common problem with water building up under and in the veg drawer. The back drain was clogged so i check it often. No big deal but a pain if i forget.
The back plastic edging on the shelves tends to slip back, along the back of the fridge and may cause an air flow problem, so i check that often. If a plastic bag rests along the back for too long, it gets a bit frosty. So i check that often. (nothing can touch the back of fridge ever)

the plastic clips on the door inside that holds juice, hot sauce etc...well, one broke, i called and they sent a new one and more rails for no charge. I also did not use or need the gallon container rail so they were good about sending what i needed to make that change. (the bump-out would hit things when closing...anything not pushed in far enough on the lower shelf above the veg bin.)

One of the freezer bins cracked but is still useable...the plastic is a bit sensitive.

Amazing i still like this thing but overall it is lovely and fits our lifestyle. It does do a great service in temp control and food overall is fresh and no loss in freshness and good cold consistent freezer temp.

Out of warranty now. Two storms and recently Sandy had us without power for a week three times now. Sure it had a rough time but my old fridge in the garage is fine.

6 months ago the freezer started having water buildup and freezing below the lower bin. Once a week or so we would tap it with the spoon rest, give the ice rink to the pups and finally started researching. The freezer drain was frozen and clogged. I find it best, since we are handy, to get a sense of the trouble before calling for service. Yes it was clogged. I took it apart, removing the back panel. Not easy but kept close watch on what screw went where. (Why not have a small access panel for that drain?!) Anywho, it was unplugged, taken apart...hair dryer on drain hole...got familiar with the back hose drains while it was pulled out from the wall. (cleaned the drain pan for the fridge! yuck)
Earlier I had tinted some water orange a put it in the fridge drain to see if that was the source of the freezer water. No, they have separate drain pans. The freezer pan was dry and empty, duh.

All good and thought the ice maker would repair itself at the same time. Nope. Just a few weeks ago it started adding water to the ice and sticking it together in the ice pan.
I thought one of those drains was finding its way in, so that was our frustration to find the source.

Discovered just a few hours ago, with a flat container in the ice bin and a cloth, that the ice is being turned and dispensed a bit early, before completely frozen, and giving a slightly smaller cube but with about 1/5th of its capacity with un-frozen water. So the water is getting into the cube tray but what sensor and how does it not know? haha Or, the plastic ice tray has a crack in it?

But i now have ice since i can remove it from the nubby cloth instead of it freezing in a clump...any ideas? It does not seem to be a clogged or frozen water line.

I know this is lengthy, but it may save someone a service call, or at least have an idea when they arrive. (i did have the hinges replaced for the recall and that was a crazy experience) ...we did most of the work and lifting but he had the box of new ones. It would take him hours to remove the back panel and thaw a tiny drain that had literally a pea size of frozen blockage. We did it in a calm two hours and learned a bit while studying its habits.

Comments (11)