SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Should I put a ledge or shelf above my vanity?

kaysd
12 years ago

We have a 1960 California ranch. The look I am trying to achieve in the master bath is clean and modern, but also tranquil and spa like. I know I want part of the tile to be a watery blue, probably mixed with white and maybe some gray. The vanity cabinet will be either walnut with horizontal grain or grey stained rift cut oak with horizontal grain.

We have room for a 6 foot vanity, sandwiched between 2 walls (1 wall has a pocket door leading to the bedroom and the other wall has a pocket door leading to the compartment with the toilet and steam shower). I am thinking about eliminating the toe kick so the vanity floats between the walls. I plan to put a large horizontal sheet of mirror above the vanity. There will be a sconce mounted on the mirror at each side to put some light at face level, plus 2 recessed lights above the vanity (all on dimmers). There will be 2 undermount sinks.

I am thinking about putting a tiled ledge above and behind the vanity, with wall mounted faucets mounted on that ledge. Alternatively, I could do a wood shelf between the tile BS and the mirror. Either option reinforces the horizontal line of the vanity and provides a little display space. (I would like to put out a few perfume bottles, maybe a candle, but I want to avoid creating a drop spot for clutter.) Option 3 is just to mount the mirror above the tile BS with no shelf or ledge and either wall mounted or deck mounted faucets. Which option do you think would be best and why?

Option 1 - tiled ledge:

modern bathroom design by seattle architect Bosworth Hoedemaker

Option 2 - wood shelf:

modern bathroom design by san francisco interior designer Sullivan Design Studio

Option 3 - just tile and mirror:

modern bathroom design by san francisco architect Feldman Architecture, Inc.

modern bathroom design by houston architect C O N T E N T Architecture

Comments (6)