SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sanveann_gw

Plans, version 3.0 -- would love your feedback!

sanveann
11 years ago

(I didn't post 2.0 here because we immediately realized some things we thought we wanted weren't actually as cool as we thought they'd be.)

First, I want to thank Renovator8 for his fantastic suggestions on making the exterior more historically correct. I was a little mystified at some of the architectural terms at first, but there is a darling Colonial Revival neighborhood in a nearby town, and I drove around and looked carefully at all the houses and pieced it together ;)

Second, here is the first plan, if you want to take a look.

Some key differences:

* The playroom is gone and will be in the dining room (for now). We realized that the chances of us throwing formal dinner parties in the near future were probably preeeetty low.
* WeâÂÂve kicked out the back living room wall about three feet (and made the second floor slightly bigger as well, making the boysâ bedrooms -- bedrooms 3 and 4 -- both bigger).

* We got rid of the split landing on the staircase.

* We changed the layout of the master bathroom.

* We added a second door to the first-floor bathroom, making it more accessible for emergency potty visits before we leave (via the mudroom).

* The front elevation has been changed significantly to make it more correct for a Colonial Revival style -- we changed the pediment over the front door, added a window above it, got rid of the faux Palladian window on the front of the garage, and replaced it with regular windows, added a fanlight above the front door, etc.

So, let me know what you think! I think weâÂÂre just about there. A couple of thoughts I have â¦

* I wish the windows on the right elevation could be perfectly symmetrical, but I donâÂÂt see how thatâÂÂs possible without making them look off-kilter from within the rooms. I think IâÂÂd rather like the way they look from the inside, considering IâÂÂll probably spend much more time in the house than staring at the right side of it. In addition, at looking at photos online and from looking at Colonial Revival neighborhoods in a nearby neighborhood, it seems like the sides often arenâÂÂt perfectly symmetrical.

* I think the overhang on the bottom floor (over the cafe and screen porch is a misprint left over from an earlier plan.

* The dishwasher has moved to the left of the sink, but I think IâÂÂd prefer to have it on the right, so I can more easily put away dishes in those upper cabinets.

* The cute little half-round window by the gable on the right elevation has disappeared. I think we want to keep it.

This post was edited by sanveann...

Comments (7)