SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacobseric

Need quick info: what height & size for niche in tub/shower?

jacobse
14 years ago

We're planning where the contractor needs framing in the tub/shower in our guest bathroom remodel, and we're pondering the placement of the niche for soap & shampoo. We'll shower much more often than take a bath, so it seems the niche should be placed for someone standing in the tub. Is there any rule of thumb for how high that should be? I was thinking of putting the base of the niche at a height that aligns with the fourth row of our 13"x13" tiles, or about 39" above the tub floor. We were thinking we'd make the opening exactly the size of one 13x13 tile. Any thoughts that this isn't a good size? Does that height seem okay? Any reason it should be higher or lower? (If I go higher, then it runs into the listello of accent tile running around the room; I was thinking it would be simpler if the niche didn't need the listello running through it.) And... would you center it on the 60" long wall of the tub, which seems best aesthetically, or place it off-center further away from the shower head to avoid water from the shower head hitting the niche?

One more question: for the very occasional bath, we're pondering what to do for a place to put a bar of soap. The niche placed comfortably for someone standing for a shower is too high. Do we need a second, smaller niche closer to the top of the tub? Is putting out a soap dish when needed an acceptable alternative?

Thanks for any and all answers and opinions!

-- Eric

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022