SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cookininbrooklyn

Tile advice needed- Bill Vincent?

cookininbrooklyn
16 years ago

We're about to start laying tile and I want to make sure I am using the right thinsets for the various tile work in my bathrooms.

This is what I have:

My bathroom floors have hot water radiant heat set in 2" of deck mud. On top of that, we applied Mapelastic HPG to waterproof the floors.

After helpful advice Bill Vincent and others, my shower floors have deck mud over a pvc liner over a preslope. My shower walls have cement backer board with the mapelastic hpg to waterproof the walls and niches.

In one bath I am using 5/8" square marble mosaic on floors and shower walls. In another bath I have 16" pietra cardosa tiles on bathroom floor and shower walls with smaller size pieces on shower floor. In the last bath, I have 8" square porcelain tiles on floor, 2" porcelain tiles on shower floor and 6" ceramic on walls.

What kind of thinset should I be using in these situations? The Mapelastic instructions recommend Kerabond/Keraplastic (I realize they are recommending their own product) but from what I've read, different types of stone and tile demand different types of thinset and I've also heard having radiant heat can affect the choice. Is that the right choice for my situations? I also believe I should use the same thinset on the shower walls, but want to make sure of that.

On a different note, what product should I use on the non-wet walls in the bathroom assuming the tile is either ceramic or porcelain? Is mastic okay there, and if so, what is a good one to use?

Last question - I've read recommendations of not using unsanded grout in the showers. The tile store that sold me the polished marble mosaic said I need to use unsanded so as not to scratch the marble. Is that correct?

Final question, has anyone ever seen pietra cardosa in a mesh backed mosaic so I don't have to cut up larger tiles for my shower floor?

Sorry to ask so many question at once and thank you so much in advance for all of the advice. It is invaluable.

Martin

Comments (7)