SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaismom_gw

Wall mounted vent versus vent with external blower in the attic

kaismom
14 years ago

I am thinking of using my current rangehood as a liner (the color matches the range) and putting in an external vent in the attic (or the roof) with a duct silencer. Currently, my squirrel cage fan is rated 450CFM. It is not pulling enough air for my greasy cooking and I smell the lingering odor of the night before's burito, stir fry etc. I don't grill in the house since I have a built-in outdoor grill right outside of kitchen.

It's a Viking hood. We actually took the entire thing apart today and it was very easy to get the motor/fan out. (and degreased 10 years' worth of grease residue....) The motor has an easy slide pin electrical connection for a fan and I just need to run the fan wiring on the side of the duct. (is that how it is done?)

If I replace the fan with say 600 CFM or even 1000 CFM, will I notice a significant improvement in the performance? Will the smell from the night before not be a problem? I have a very open floor plan where there are no walls between living/dining/kitchen. Will the open floor plan be an issue regarding odor spread? What are your collective thoughts?

Comments (5)