SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valleigh_gw

Do I need high end appliances for (10yr from now) resale?

valleigh
15 years ago

Hi all I hope you can help with this question...

I live in a fairly high-end neighborhood in CT. Many of homes on my street face the water (not ours) and most of the homes on our block are in the $2.5 million+ range. Our house is a 1926 colonial to which the former owners did a pretty unfortunate 1983 addition. It is one of the smaller homes on a very desirable street, but even with our new addition will "only" be about 3,400 SF. Even though we are planning a major overhaul, touching most of the house, it might have been a teardown to many since you can build to about 6,000 sf on our lot. (Okay this was all before the economy tanking so who knows?)

We are looking at this as both something wonderful for us and an investment. I do love to cook, bake, but I have made wonderful meals in many different houses on all different appliances. We are not planning on selling for perhaps 10 years, does it matter if I do the high end appliances -- Subzero, Wolf, Miele? I know they look spiffy, but am I just paying for the name/look, or will I really notice a cooking difference? For example, my local appliance guy said that if you by Bosch, you are basically buying Thermador and vice versa. Right now, we have a 26-yr-old Sub zero and thermador ovens (former owner put in)

If someone comes to buy the house in 10 years, will seeing the Sub zero and fancy ovens influence their impression even if they plan to tear out what we've done and redo?

So should I spend $8,000 on that 36" subzero and economize somewhere else, or should I just go for the next price tier - GE Monogram or Kitchen Aid and just work with my architect to make things look beautiful and simply work for me?

I am so confused at this point, I can't even decide whether I really need a convection oven or not?????

Comments (7)