SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfb

Concern for chemicals in building products/process?

Lil B
14 years ago

Since we first were interviewing GCs, we expressed that we were interested in some green building practices. We are not building a "green" home, or trying to be LEED certified. However, after reading a bit about some of the green building concerns on chemicals (mostly off gassing) in products used, we decided it made sense to put some thought into the materials/products that we used. We don't have a GC accustomed to a client asking these sorts of questions. And we are not in a part of the country that this is too prevalent yet.

From my reading, I narrowed down my primary concerns to formaldehyde levels in the home (mostly cabinetry), VOCs in paints, and minimizing formaldehyde in any insulation products.

Now that we are in the framing stage, I feel that I'm having a difficult time getting straight answers with regards to the formaldehyde levels in the cabinetry bids.

I know that formaldehyde-free MDF products exist. I'm a bit unclear if a cabinetmaker who uses plywood interiors (no MDF) would minimize the formaldehyde -- or if I have to request a special formaldehyde-free plywood as well.

Anyone else have experience with these thoughts? How do you prioritize these concerns? I'm trying to balance these concerns with cost as well. In what order do you place certain air-quality or environmental aspects of your home building?

I would love to hear your perspectives! Thanks!

Comments (17)