SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
margaret_prange

First Time Home Building Through Production Builder

Maggie G
8 years ago

I'm building a home through a national production builder in another state. One of the most common pieces of advice I've gotten is "stay on top of them every week," although that'll be very difficult to do from out of state. Was hoping others who've gone through the process might be able to answer some questions:

1. Is there anything you wished you'd known in the earliest stages of production/design?

2. We have the option of moving the laundry room upstairs and making the master bedroom smaller (where the laundry was downstairs would then become a mudroom) or keeping laundry downstairs and having a larger master bedroom. It'd be $2k to move it upstairs. Worth it?

3. Upgrades: carpet, carpet pads, cabinets, countertops - what was worth it?

4. Tile backsplash in the kitchen is quoted at $1.6k, I think this is something that would be fairly easy for us to just buy at home depot and glue on for like $100 but I'm not sure if I'm overconfident in my DIY skills and it's trickier than I anticipate.

5. Adding additional lights? I'm going to have them wire and then pick out lighting fixtures for the bedroom, dining room, kitchen, etc, but I'm thinking of doing the under cabinet lights in the kitchen and adding a couple of ceiling lights in the living room?

6. Gutters - not sure whether we should contract this out after the fact, try to DIY, or just go ahead and add.

7. Vaulted ceiling in the master bedroom. It looks like it'd just be slanted instead of using both sides like a barn. I don't think I like the slanted/uneven look but am wondering if I might regret it.

8. Any other advice!!!!

Comments (27)