SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tkfinn97

Opinions on floor plan please!

tkfinn97
12 years ago

I posted this in Kitchens awhile back and got some great input. I wanted to add it to this forum as well in case I could get any new feedback on the full main living area floor plan. I have a DH, 3 girls (9,7,4) and we are building on 40 acres of prairie. My dad is going to be my builder, and I am under strict instructions to keep the outside corners to a minimum :) I know he would build what we want, but after living in a typical 70s ranch, I am just super excited to have storage! The garage will be set at a 135 degree angle to the house. This is going to be our "retirement" home and will be built on slab with an upstairs, 10 foot porch facing south and minimum windows to the north as we have some pretty severe winters. Those on the kitchen forum advised me not to let the pantry "drive the bus" which made me laugh, since the pantry really is one of the things that I planned first. I like the open area, raised dishwasher and "buffet" area above the sink, so that I can still feel like part of the family when I am doing the dishes. I also like the office next to the kitchen as I plan to bring home all my mail and immediately drop it off behind those closed doors. I like that the stairs keep my back rooms private, however, I am not sure that I like the way they need to be accessed from the middle of the living room wall. It works with the upstairs better to do it that way, and I plan to keep part of them open underneath for traffic flow to the dining room, but add a small closet to the shorter space for storage. Do you think my MB is too small? We are moving closer to both sets of parents and plan to do a lot of entertaining and family dinners. Any thoughts, opinions? I love the critiques on this site as I would much rather be able to consider them before I am stuck with something that doesn't work. Thanks in advance!

{{gwi:1418306}}

Comments (6)