SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodidesign_gw

Need advice on interior design fee issue longish post

jodidesign
15 years ago

I need some benchmarks on potential fees from either design professionals or people who have used a designer for a big remodeling project. I have to negotiate a fair fee with my designer for the services he has and will provide to complete my bathroom renovation.

BACKSTORY:

We hired our designer to complete a bathroom which already had floor plans and plumbing/electrical rough-in. We agreed that it would be a fixed fee contract with our stated budget being $20-25K for materials and labor. The designer said that we would know the fee as we clarified the design aesthetic for the space. As we started selecting materials, DH and I realized that we could save a SIGNIFICANT amount of money by doing research and purchasing materials on our own (with the advice of the designer on style/quality issues).

We talked this over with the designer, who agreed that we should go ahead and do this, though he did make a comment about needing to "true up" at the end of the project to make sure that he would be adequately compensated given this buying approach. I assume this means that if we had bought through him that he would have collected some sort of mark-up, though I thought that was not going to be the case. In any case, he did not amend our contract and the only cost estimates I received from him were the amount of a deposit, which covered both this project and another which we are doing on an hourly basis, and a figure of $3,300, which he provided as we were assembling an estimate of the total costs for the project (before we decided to change our buying model).

A couple of weeks ago he mentioned to me that we had "switched to hourly" for this project I did not interpret his earlier statement as having that meaning. I immediately asked for an accounting of where we were on that. He sent the accounting along with a number of caveats about how this isnt an invoice and he wants to help us finish the project and is willing to cap his fee. With the project still about a month from completion (and a lot of hours given that we still have to do all the installation), his hours TO DATE would calculate out to about $8,000 in fees. All of the caveats clearly mean that he realized that the itemization of hours would be totally shocking to us, which it is.

QUESTIONS:

Putting aside the lack of professionalism and foresight evident in the fact that he didnt clarify things sooner, we are now in a position where we will need to negotiate. And to do that, I need some information to work with. Here are a bunch of questions the answers to these will help us think about how to manage the discussion. Your insight on any or all of them, as well as anything that I didnt ask that you think would help us figure out how to proceed, would be most helpful.

- Is there an approximate percentage of cost for space renovation that would provide a reasonable benchmark for how much we should pay?

- Should we ask him to apply different hourly rates to different kinds of services, which would allow us to pay him less for research - since we ultimately used little of the research on materials that he did for us - and on-site time - which requires time but not necessarily design expertise - and his regular fee for actual design advice? What should those fees be (his regular hourly is $150 keep in mind we are in Chicago)?

- Putting aside the percentage of our budget that we should pay for his services, how many hours is a reasonable expectation for this kind of soup-to-nuts project? How can we think about reimbursing him for his time in a way that is not completely destructive to our overall budget even if we cap him here, at $8000 the cost is double we had built in to pay him?

- How should we address the single estimate of $3300 that we got from him given the change in our purchasing method?

- What kinds of questions should we ask to find out what he would have earned if we had done the project in a more "standard" way? Is this a reasonable benchmark to use to determine how much he should be paid given how we did the project?

Thanks so much and sorry for the lengthy post!

Comments (8)