SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Please share and brainstorm lighting ideas and fixtures

ontariomom
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

From what I have read an effective lighting plan includes lighting in layers and includes ambient lighting, accent lighting , task lighting and decorative lighting too. Ideally lights should be a combination of down lights and uplights.

Some on these boards have mentioned that choosing light fixtures was a difficult, time consuming process. I wondered if we could share some of our best lighting finds, and lighting ideas so others can benefit. A list of best places to search on-line for lights or places where decent priced fixtures can be found would be helpful. Maybe just a sharing of your favourite light fixture or favourite lighting idea.

Here are some of my ideas:

1) For good ambient light it is wise to bounce illumination off the ceilings and walls. The best sources to do this include: a) opaque indirect wall sconces, torcheres (floor lamps), indirect pendants (sort of bowl shaped uplights), up light chandeliers OR cove lighting and not just pot lights. My ceilings are only 8 feet so sconces are the best solution for most of my rooms due to ceiling height.

2)I am planning for ways to add accent lighting to a shelf or to highlight features such as pictures, fireplace, etc in all the main rooms. This requires actually thinking in advance about what size picture, etc I would want in each location before closing the walls. We might choose to accent under the overhang of the island too.

3)I am considering step lights for the stairs and low wall lights in the bathroom (acts like a night light). I will back light some of our bathroom mirrors.

4)My favourite lighting books are: a)Perfect Lighting by Sally Storey, b)The Home Lighting Effects Bible by Lucy Martin and Residential Lighting by Randall
Whitehead.

Below is the foyer light we have chosen (thanks to help from a GW member on the decorating forum).

So I hope you will share your lighting finds and ideas too.
Lets share our inspirations and let there be light in our new homes.

Carol

Comments (14)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor