SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mojavean

My Miele Morning!

mojavean
13 years ago

Well, the Miele techs just left. I had to have them out to fix my speed oven, which had sadly stopped broiling and convecting and had become a very expensive microwave. Since I used to be a technician myself years ago, I totally know when a tech knows what he or she is doing.

And when he or she does not.

The fellow who came out today really knew his stuff. Since I had had my oven apart previously to fix a separate issue, I knew, for instance, how the top panel has to be canted up from the rear for a retention lip to be freed along its front edge. It was like the guy had done it before. The master tech also had along an apprentice who is just learning the ropes. Since my oven was being worked on and I was paying them for the work, I decided to listen in and ask questions, too. It was great fun!

Let me cut to the chase and tell you what was wrong with my speed oven. I have the H4080BM, the slightly older Master Chef model (mine is one that I bought new from a builder who had it sitting in his garage for awhile and never used it) Anyway, what had happened is the bearings in the cooling fan had stiffened up so that the fan wasn't turning fast enough. There is an rpm counter on the fan that sends a continuous stream of pulses to the logic board, telling it how fast the fan is turning. If it does not turn fast enough, the logic board will not energize the resistance heater elements, either the convector in the back or the broiler element above.

So it was a bad fan causing my problems.

If you happen to own one of these ovens and find one day that it will not heat up by the resistance heaters, but will still microwave, you should suspect the fan as a possible culprit. It is a squirrel cage style affair and should spin easily by hand. If it feels stiff and hard to turn, it needs to be replaced. (fixed would work, actually, but the Miele guys have to replace it) I kept my old one and intend to fix it in case the new one fails.

I did find out how to put the oven into program mode and into diagnostic mode. I now give this information unto you, Dear Gardenwebsters. Use it and prosper.

To put the machine into programming mode (such as to set input power, etc.)

1. Press clear button and hold it.

2. Now press on-off. Hold both for 1 second then release both simultaneously.

3. Now, press clear button 5 times, but on the fifth push, hold it until the display changes to the programming display.

4. Voila, you are in programming mode.

To put the machine into diagnostic mode, do the same as above, but push the clear button 3 times only and on the third push, hold as above until the diagnostic screen pops up. With the diagnostics mode, you can check such things as your fan, your heaters, read the fault codes if any have popped, etc. Be careful with this mode, and with every other nugget of information I share with you, so as not to goon your oven or injure yourself on a hot surface.

I was quite impressed with the boys from Miele. They were VERY professional, very competent. The master tech, Alex (he's from Portugal) knows that oven front ways and back. He was thorough, checking for other problems while he had the machine open, and very gracious about answering my questions. They even have these festive little booties they put on their shoes so as not to track dirt into the house!

Anyway, I have my speed oven back, which is huge for me. I think I can sense nachos coming on.

Comments (11)