SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fauguy

My Miele Dishwasher stopped working

fauguy
12 years ago

Ok, so I I've owned a Miele Diamante Plus G2143 since April 2010. Up until earlier this year (about Feb) I had no issues with it. The first thing I noticed in Feb was that all of a sudden there would be a loud rattling sound when the water was draining from the unit. I investigated on my own, and could tell it was from the non-return valve. Miele sent me another one, which was OK for 2-3 days and then started the rattling sound. A tech came out and replaced the drain motor that has the plastic impeller blades attached, and also purged the drain line using a wet/dry vac to make sure the line was clear. When all was said and done, it still made a rattling sound when the water drained. The tech said that "its just one of those things that it does. Sometimes it won't do it, and other times it will", even though mine does it like 95% of the time, and didn't start until 10 months after using the unit.

The second issue was with the newer Miele tabs (the 72 count that are phosphate free). Even though I was only using half a tab, I was getting a lot of suds in the wash cycle. Miele tech support said to use even less of the tab. The only way I could do this is to crush them up into powder and measure out one-half teaspoon into the detergent compartment. There are still some suds, but not nearly as much as when using a half or full tab.

Now on to what happened today. We went out to dinner last night, so the dishwasher only had a few items in there, not enough to run a load. So today after there was some more items from breakfast and lunch, I decided to run it. I close the door, press the power button, and it starts with its standard 30 second drain, but this time it does not end, and continues to run the drain motor, even though there is no water in the bottom. I press the front power button to turn it off, but the drain motor is still running. After waiting about 5 minutes, I unplugged the unit, waited a while, and plugged it back in. Right away the drain motor started back up. I tried to run a wash cycle, and then all 3 of the yellow lights (rinse, dry, end) came on and started to flash. I looked at the troubleshooting section of the User Guide, and it said that if it continues to do this, to call Miele tech support.

So I called, and the guy said that water must of got into the bottom pan and tripped a protection sensor, which is something only a service tech can get to. He told me to turn the water valve off to the unit, and to unplug it. Now I have to wait until Monday for the local Miele service tech to come out.

I'm wondering how water got into this bottom pan area, and maybe if is because of the suds being caused by the newer Miele tabs, even though I'm only using half a teaspoons, which is equal to 1/8th of a tab.

Needless to say I'm starting to get P.O'd here. The thing ran fine for 10 months and was a dream to use. Now it seems like there is one issue after another. Rattling metal ball in the non-return valve each time the unit drains, the suds from the newer Miele tabs, and now the thing is stuck in continual drain mode since water may have got into the bottom pan.

At this point, I feel like telling them to take it back and replace it with a like-model from the newer Futura line. Even if/when they fix this current problem with water in the lower pan, I feel like I can't really "depend" on this unit to work well for years to come, despite how well it cleans.

Comments (29)