SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junkbj

How do I get a Detailed Bid??? (i.e., with cost break downs)

junkbj
16 years ago

We're getting ready to start a custom home and I just got my first bid response back this afternoon. Now I'm wondering if I didn't make it clear what I was expecting.

I asked for a detailed bid with cost break-downs so that I could do an apples to apples comparison between the three bids I was seeking and also so that, if we needed to trim some costs we would have some idea of where to start considering cutting. The bid I got today contains a fairly extensive listing of what is included in it (although it is considerably less detailed than I would have liked) BUT, with the exception of a few minor allowances, the only dollar amount shown is the BOTTOM LINE bid.

I was expecting it to be broken down by various areas at least. i.e. something like

Foundation: materials = $ AAA, labor = $ BBB

Framing: materials = $ CCC, labor = $ DDD

Windows: materials = $ EEE, labor = $ FFF

ETC...

Am I asking for too much? Or, did I just not ask for what I want in the right way? Any suggestions for how to go about getting the kind of bid I want?

Based on the responses I got when I called references, our interviews, and our visits to the sites of other projects they are currently working on, the builder who submitted this first bid is actually my favorite among the three from whom I'm seeking bids.

His total bid, while higher than I can go is not so far out beyond my budget that it looks impossible to get it down to what we can afford... especially since I totally asked for the sun and the moon and the stars in getting the bid! I rather suspected that I would have to make some compromises but I wanted to have an idea of what it would cost to get EVERYTHING I ever dreamed about before I started making compromises to get the cost down. So, I definitely want to give this builder an opportunity to give me a more detailed bid, but I'm not sure exactly how to ask for it.

Advice please????

Comments (10)