SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcorn

GC bid summarized vs line item detail - is this normal?

kcorn
10 years ago

We have been making significant progress in our kitchen reno plans and decisions related to material selections. We have our layout nailed down, a custom cabinet maker lined up, and now we are into the bulk of everything else related to general contractor items (demo, electrical, plumbing, etc.). We have talked with and received bids from 3 GC's. The first GC is way too high and we know it is too outlandish based on previous remodel projects. Plus, he missed a few things we asked to be included. The second GC is a little on the low side and again, missed including some key items.

The 3rd bid is in the middle and we have been extremely impressed with their professionalism, attention to detail, level of detail in the estimate, and references.

So here is the problem...we received line item costs in the bids of the 1st and 2nd GC, however, with the 3rd GC, he only provides the total cost of the project. Let me be clear that he has also included a VERY detailed Statement of Work that has the line items spelled out in terms of what is included. This is the most detailed explanation of what is included in the project of any of the GC's. However, because he isn't giving us line item pricing, it is making it very hard to understand how competitive he is for various items. If he is too overpriced in certain areas, I would like to source those elsewhere / possibly remove them from the scope of work. To get to that point, I now find myself asking him, "if we decide we don't want x, how much credit do we get back?".

Even though I really, really like the GC and his subs, my gut is not feeling comfortable at all on the pricing front. I feel like we are playing games here and that isn't good for any of us.

Is this normal?

Comments (23)