SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Solid surface tub 'deck'

palimpsest
15 years ago

I have a 40+ year old bathtub in my only bathroom. It is a good quality cast iron tub with no major damage or wear in the "well" of the tub itself.

However it does have some scratches and chips around the top edge from an old shower enclosure, and the surround, which is wetbed, actually extends well onto the lip of the tub, and when this area gets retiled in the future there will be parts of the ledges exposed that are now submerged under the tile. (And differences in wear and scratches that I assume will show up)

I do not want to replace the tub for a number of reasons (only bathroom, probably not removing wet bed floor, nothing really 'wrong' with tub, so don't want it going to landfill. on fourth floor of old bldg, walk up...)

Has anyone done a solid surface ledge or tub deck on top of a conventional tub making it look like an undermount? I have some salvaged marble that matches my fireplaces, and I thought perhaps a marble front, with a solid surface tub deck on top could look really nice.

I was thinking of white Corian or some type of marble.

Does anyone have any experience, pictures, rough pricing on something like this?

Comment (1)