SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcgowan35

Changing Regular Showerhead to Handheld - Seeking Advice

chicagoans
14 years ago

I had to give our puppy a bath this morning after taking him to the dog park. We have been bathing him in our mudroom sink (it's a big laundry sink) since we got him. But when I hoisted his 50-some pounds in there today, he looked at me like, "You're kidding, right?" He's just way too big. (And at 8 months... he'll get bigger.)

So I plan to use the basement bathroom, which is used very infrequently when we have overnight guests. This is a walk-in shower with a fixed showerhead and a standard handle/control below. I want to change the fixed showerhead to a handheld model. However, the shower walls are tiled and I'm worried about the need to drill into the tile for the brackets/bars that come with most handhelds.

I've found one handheld shower so far that looks like it could be easily installed where the current showerhead is (it just needs the one hole into the wall.) It's a Moen, which I believe is an OK brand. I don't mind that it's not fancy (remember, it's mostly for washing the dog) and I haven't found any others that don't require an extra bracket or bar.

Many of the pictures I've seen online only show the showerhead, and not how it's attached to the wall. So I could be missing something.

Any ideas out there? Any thoughts on using a handheld like the one shown below rather than the kind that uses a separate bar or bracket to hold it up?

Comments (10)