SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brachl_gw

seeking advice on living room furniture placement

brachl
10 years ago

We have lived in our house 25 years. When we moved in, I had a young baby and basically just used the furniture we had from our apartment. Over time, we have added a little but have not changed the layout. Now that we are buying new furniture (springs in our sofa have broken), I am taking the time to think about what would be a good layout. (I know I am years late to this but....) We do not use our living room that much, as we have a family room with comfortable chairs and a TV. We do use the living room when we have large parties (a few times a year) and sometimes for meetings. (DH and I are active volunteers.) The biggest challenge I think is that my inclination is to use the fireplace as a focal point but if I do that, I feel I am blocking the path from the entryway to our dining room. Also, one of the things we like most about the house is the high ceilings and open feeling, and I worry that putting a sofa or loveseat parallel to the fireplace will destroy that sense of openness. Would love any advice/suggestions. FYI, the living room is 20' x 16' and the entry way is approximately 12'10" x 7'10". Here are some pics of the living room and entryway:

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (8)