SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katier73

Toilets- I want to stop thinking about them! Help!

KatieR73
10 years ago

We are doing the bathrooms in our house and I have to pick new toilets. This is traumatizing me because the last toilet pick was terrible.

We installed a Toto Ultramax regular height, no sanagloss in our powder room. I hate this toilet. It streaks every time someone uses it and it has to be cleaned with a brush. For some reason my kids and husband seem to be drawn to using this bathroom and by the end of the day it looks like a truck stop rest room; with evidence of all the days activities. We NEVER had this problem with the American Standard circa 1985 that the Toto replaced. I thought I was so smart in buying a fancy toilet but I am seriously considering ripping the thing out. I never intended to become permanently bonded with a toilet brush. As for flushing power, its fine. It's clogged once but the kids can go crazy with the Charmin (i know, its the devils spawn to toilets) and it was a huge pain to plunge given the weird design but my major issue is the filth factor.

So now I am toilet shopping again and I don't know what to do. I am switching to comfort height for sure. I plan on putting washlets on all these toilets. I don't care about looks, I have never noticed the beauty of anyones toilet so I'm not worried people will find mine ugly. I like the one piece b/c it is easier to clean the exterior but I'm not totally wed to that. I'm half tempted to keep the American Standards which probably have more water than anything else except they are two piece and sort of rusty inside but at least they don't have to be cleaned daily. That I am considering keeping these is evidence of my confusion.

I know some will say 'oh aim this way' or have your kids change their diet (they eat normally) or whatever, but none of that is going to happen realistically. I can't even get them to reliably lift the seat. Are there ANY new toilets out there that do not require cleaning after each use? I see so many mixed reports on the totos- some say "mine has never streaked and I haven't cleaned it in 3 years!" and others say they have the same problem I do, so I don't know what to make of that. I am not sure if sangloss plus double cyclone flushes make a difference or not. I am not eager to get another Toto based on my experience but based on my research, Im not really eager to get any toilet :-(

Any advice? Should I dig a latrine pit instead?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County