SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swisschardfanatic

What would you do with this bathroom? Pics included

(Sorry, the pic is misleading, the toilet and sink have been reinstalled already, and grout has been put in; this pic is an earlier one)

DH and I want to remodel our bathroom in 1-3 months and we aren't sure what to do; we are new to this. This is our first home. We do, however, know what our goals are with this project:

- We want to maximize the amount of storage space in the bathroom while still having it feel as spacious as possible. It is a small bathroom but it doesn't have to feel cramped. There is a pre-existing floor-to-ceiling cabinet that is in excellent shape and just needs repainting and new hardware.

- Our budget is about $500. We will be doing all the labor ourselves. We have enough tile that we got for free to do the stall.

- We want to install a vanity to replace the stand-alone sink. We have a depth of only 13" to work with for this.

- We want this remodel to last for a long time and we want to do it right so that the climate in which we live (hot, humid over 70% of the year) doesn't wreck havoc on our bathroom.

- I want to replace the medicine cabinet mirror with just a mirror hung on the wall because I don't like how small and vertically misaligned the current mirror is. We cannot install a bigger medicine cabinet mirror because the wall studs are so close together.

Remodeling and other changes that has already been done:
1. New subflooring, tile and grout in floors
2. Some new paneling installed to replace damaged old paneling (this was pretty cheap)
3. Installed new light fixture ($60)
4. Installed medicine cabinet with mirror ($100)
5. Replaced toilet seat and lid with new ones ($20)
6. Installed towel rack ($30)
7. Installed curved shower rod for more space in stall, and new shower liner ($55)

But there's a lot we are clueless about. For example, what to do outside the stall? Do we put sheetrock in? Do we need a special sheetrock to prevent mold growth and rot? If not sheetrock, then what?

So what would you do with this bathroom? More pics coming in next post(s).

This post was edited by Swiss_Chard_Fanatic on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 14:29

Comments (28)