SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sfhc21

Foam Insulation in the attic, but not in exterior walls?

sfhc21
16 years ago

Alright folks...first, the facts. Near Dallas, TX, I am building a 1 1/2 story 3400 square foot home with 2600 on the main floor.

Now, here is the great debate. Just read this article on foam insulation vs cellulose vs fiberglass.

I particularly liked this phrase:

"At advanced Insulation we are energy pragmatists and not energy purists. We realize no one product makes the home and that budgets often drive the decision making process. This is why we advocate the use of foam on the underside of roof sheathing and not necessarily on 2x4 or 2x6 exterior walls."

I'm definitely an energy pragmatist and not a purist. I just want something that will cut down the bills in the Hot Texas Heat and not have me go bankrupt doing it. We are definitely foaming the attic. But our budget originally had the whole house with foam insulation.

But would it be worth it, energy wise, to switch out the foam in exterior walls for fiberglass and use the money the saved for better energy efficient windows? Or how about upgrading to 2x6's instead of 2x4's?

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions....

Comments (5)