SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cyngar

Plan B - Help Choose Floorplan

cyngar
12 years ago

Design Pros-

After receiving a preliminary cost to build quote we're abandoning our previous floorplans and starting over. I listened to your constructive inputs. It was just wrong for us for many reasons, too complicated, too big, and too expensive, bad design. etc. However, since we're planning to break ground this Spring, we need to find a "Not So Big House" plan quickly. I now realize that quality design and craftsmanship in a smaller house is more important than a large poorly designed space.

Our situation: Empty Nesters ages 50 and 48, retiring from active duty Air Force in 7 months with two grown children out of the house and on their own. We might have a parent live with us at some point so we're factoring that into our design. We love the outdoors and the house will be built on 40 acres in Michigan set back about 450 ft off the road (yes I know that means lots of snow-plowing and I'm actually looking forward to it. Don't laugh). The lot is level with 360 degree views, plenty of sun and we'll have a woodlot 30 yards behind the house. The front of the house will be facing South.

Requirements are approximately 1800-2100 s.f. on 1-story country/craftsman style, 3 bedrooms, 2 or 2.5 baths, large covered front porch, small screened porch for spending summer evenings outside, one large eating area, a decent size kitchen with pantry, comfortable family room with fireplace and room for a large flat screen TV/entertainment center, a library/office, mud room, laundry room or combination is fine, and a 2-stall attached garage on a unfinished basement foundation.

Two plans we considering: the one plan that DW would go with if not for my reservation is the Fernley by Don Gardner (see below). Overall, it' OK but it needs some significant modifications, especially on the right side. I don't know how to re-configure the entrance from the garage to the house without going through the laundry room/mud room? Also, we'd end up enlarging the Breakfast area to make it the lone eating area and we'd convert the existing Dining Room into a Library and get rid of the back porch (North Facing) and maybe add a screen porch off the back corner bedroom, idk?

This other plan I found isn't too bad as a starting point either. It would also need some tweaking to make it better, but maybe not as much as the plan above. This one is 1800 s.f.

{{gwi:1414329}}

Open to suggestions on which plan to begin with given our requirements and how you would improve that plan to make it more livable. Thanks for looking.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations