SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Best height for powder room vanity

2ajsmama
12 years ago

I'm still struggling with this and DH wants the sink in ASAP. I want to modify an antique washstand to put in a drop-in sink (already have the sink and faucet). The washstand is 29.5" high to "countertop" with a towel bar attached to the back, and I will be hanging an antique oak-framed mirror above it. (That's the sink template on top, this was blocked up on 4x4's so 3.5" high and it was actually comfortable for me but appeared to be "looming" at first when sitting down across from it)

The towel bar itself is 20" above the top, and the supports that come up on either side are 1.5" taller. I haven't measured the mirror yet. Sconce locations on the side wall are 65" from finished floor (actually one is 65.25", and I never noticed til I just measured, one is 12.125" from back wall the other is 13" - love the attention to detail in my new house!).

Room is 3' x 6'4" long, enter on side from pocket door, sink to left and toilet to right. Petite round-front toilet is 29.5" high to tank.

So what is the best height for use (considering sink depth of 6.25", and also mirror placement), and for scale/proportions in this small room?

I could just add casters (of course would secure the back to the wall so it won't roll) to add 1.5" bringing countertop to 30.5". Or block up the legs (I was thinking 3" to bring to 32"), but that would take more work/time and I'm wondering if the vanity/towel bar/mirror would then be too tall and out of scale in this small room?

FWIW, I am 5'2" and find 33" comfortable for brushing my teeth, though no one should be brushing teeth in this sink. DD is 8 yrs old and 48" tall (not likely to make it to 5ft), DH is 5'9", DS is 13 yrs old, 5'4" and growing like a weed. We rarely have guests (when we do, they tend to be kids, and of course most kids grow pretty quickly so I can't size it for them), but this is the only bath on the main floor so we use it a LOT. When my parents come over of course they use it, they are both shrinking/bent over, I think my mom is about 5'4" now and my dad maybe 5'7".

I don't even know what "standard" vanity height is now - I know they've been making "right-height" vanities for a few years, but when we built this house 5 yrs ago I have them block up all the cabinets, and when we remodeled the master bath in the last house 15 yrs ago we did the same thing. So maybe I'm just used to taller vanities? (I did put a bath vanity in the middle of my kitchen island to give me a lower work area since I'm so short).

Thanks!

Thanks

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022