SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_mikolainis

Best ways to create accents or special-ness in a powder room

Karen Mikolainis
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

OK, I am hoping to do a DIY, relatively inexpensive powder room refresh. New everything but no major changes.

This bathroom originally had wallpaper. I don't think I want wallpaper anymore (although I do like Woods & Pears / Woods & Stars) but wallpaper is a PITA. Don't like. Not durable enough, stuck with it, etc.

I am thinking about doing a tile accent wall behind the vanity though... the vanity 48" in a "nook" with walls on either side. The toilet is in another nook to the right of the vanity. It's pretty small. The lights are pendants and we will keep them as pendants, so I could do in theory, wall tile for fun.

That said, there are other ways to provide accent and a sense of style in the room. Floor will be the nicest LVT I can find. I will paint the room now, and we can go more luxe with the sink faucet and accessory hardware, and that stuff is very fun too.

I could go for a nicer quartz countertop. Or a nice piece of art?

Generally I dislike tile and say "I don't want to hang dollar bills on my walls", (referring to tile) but this area is small. So not even 20 square feet.

Where would you put the oomph in a small powder room? I do not want to do crazy paint color, I'd like a contemporary classic look. The house is '69. I was leaning towards just "nice, basic" but it's a powder room, it could be a little special.

Our lifestyle is casual with teens but I would like it to look nice.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (6)