SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thecarguy

Questions regarding 2000 Buick Park Avenue

thecarguy
17 years ago

My dad's 97 GMC Sonoma is on it's last legs (197k miles) the body is shot (it's had a rough life) the transmission is slipping and it has several bad fluid leaks. Now that he has finally retired (at 78!) he no longer needs the truck, but he's worried that he can't afford another vehicle. So, I went car shopping and found a 2000 Buick Park Avenue. He's always been a big GM man (mostly Buicks and Cadillacs) but his last nice car (79 Eldorado) was totaled by an 18-wheeler almost 22 years ago. Before the Eldorado he had a Buick Electra, which he loved. I let him see and drive the Buick and he fell in love with it, so I went ahead and got it for him. Since the car has 99,000 miles on it, I got it for a pretty low price. Despite the mileage, however, the car is in EXCELLENT condition and it performs beautifully. I forgot how much I enjoyed big and boaty cars! The ride is so smoooth and quiet. I found the first owner's contact information in the owner's manual, so I gave them a call and learned that they were the first and only owners before me. They said they loved the car and had no problems with it whatsoever. They also told me that the intake plenum was replaced last year under a recall at 85,000 miles. My dad won't be going too many places (in fact I may have to drive the car every so often to keep the battery charged and keep things moving) but I do want to ensure that it's road worthy and be informed of any possible problem aras so that I can adress them early. The biggest problem I've read about so far is with the intake plenum, but that has been repaired. I do notice that the car makes a slight ticking noise when in gear (under a load) once put into park, it fades away, but I'm pretty sure that may just be the nature of the beast. The engine is a 3800 series II V6. I am aware of the legendary dependability of the series I version of this motor, but the series II is quite a different motor. I've had the fluids replaced and had the brakes, belts and hoses, etc. checked out okay.

Comments (4)

Sponsored