SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jgs7691

please parole me from appliance 'decision prison'!! (cross post)

jgs7691
13 years ago

[Posted on Kitchen Forum - -it was suggested that I seek help from this forum, as well - thanks in advance!]

Ok -- we've made the final decisions on layout, but before I can put in the cabinet order, we need to make decisions on appliances (really, the d/w and range will take normal 24" and 30" cut-outs - we really just need the OTR microwave measurements, but that decision probably rests on the range choice.)

The refrigerator choice is made: Kitchen Aid French Door Counter-Depth KFCS22EVMS. Hurray!

Dishwasher will probably be Bosch Evolution 500 Series SHE55M15UC (although I'd be open to a Kitchenaid if we need to put together a "package").

So that leaves cooking appliances. I am not a gourmet, but I do cook about 5x/week for our family. We have heard good things about GE Profile, but can't stand the styling of the stainless appliances (with the football-shaped front) so they're not high on the list.

Basically, we're between Bosch and Kitchenaid, based on features, price and style of each line. (Yes, I know Kitchenaids supposedly blow up when the self-clean function is used. I don't rely on that function, but would use it before the end of the warranty period if we got a KA, just to be "safe".)

We want: gas cooking, convection, 30" range, stainless steel styling with black (not stainless) cooktop. What would be nice (but is not mandatory): "true" convection", slide-in style for finished look and additional backsplash area.

The options include:

Kitchenaid Architect Series II slide-in gas range KGSS907SSS

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/KGSS907SSS.html

Bosch Evolution 500 series DLX HGS5L53UC freestanding gas with "convection" fan but not "true" convection

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/HGS5L53UC.html

and, the possible "splurge" (drumroll please) --

Bosch 700 Integra series dual fuel slide-in

7282U

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/HDI7282U.html

I love the look of the Bosch slide-in, and have gotten rave reviews from 2 family members who own it, but I am not sure if I can justify the extra $1000 above the cost of the Bosch freestanding range. Also love the Kitchenaid styling, and the KA has all the features I want, but I am concerned with reliability. My appliance salesperson owns all KA cooking appliances, and has not had problems, and tells me that they hear about equal problems with KA, GE, and Bosch, so I don't know what to believe.

There is another Bosch 700 series freestanding that I would consider, but it has a ss cooktop, and I think that would have to be a pain to keep clean.

Please help with any insights you may have -- slide-in or freestanding? worth it to pay extra for "true" convection over basic "fan" convection? worth extra $1000 to splurge on the top-of-the-line Bosch when in reality the less-pricey Bosch would handle most cooking chores well enough?

Thanks so much!!

p.s. Not sure how to attach multiple weblinks in this message, so I hope you don't mind copying/pasting the URLs for the Bosch items.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchenaid slide-in gas range

Comments (3)