SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poorowner_gw

anyone bought appliances from ajmadison.com?

PoorOwner
15 years ago

I am considering a refrigerator purchase from them. They are in NY and I am in CA, but I think it might be a drop shipped operation? Has anyone used them or had a problem before and how did they take care of it?

The brand I am looking for is Samsung and only they have the SS model, not locally.

Comments (40)

• chris2009
    15 years ago

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Their prices are good, plus no tax, all while claiming to be authorized dealers. What I can't figure out is why, if they are authorized, can they charge less than local dealers.

• Related Discussions

I bought my appliances, but question on fridge!!

Q

Comments (3)
    I think I've figured it out! I was studying and studying this installation photo, and, yes, because of the WALL, the fridge needs 5 1/2 inch clearance to install so the doors open. I guess my question is... wouldn't the Liebherr need that too?? Because the wall isn't going anywhere! Anyhow, I think a solution to this is to put a small cabinet on the left side of the fridge. Then I only need a 1" clearance on either side. Which now begs the question - how small (width) can I go with cabinet size next to a fridge and still have something that is worth having?? Would a 6" cabinet give me a small pantry? Or maybe someplace for our spices or cookie sheets (standing up) ,etc? Hmmmm....
    ...See More

Has anyone bought a fridge from Overstock?

Q

Comments (0)
    I'm considering purchasing a fridge from Overstock but am a bit nervous. Wanted to see if anyone has experience buying a fridge (or large appliances) from the site. TIA!
    ...See More

Cable guardrails on deck: anyone bought from Alibaba?

Q

Comments (8)
    I am trying to figure out what kind of safety precautions a portable BBQ is supposed to have :) 1) a sticker that says "caution VERY HOT contains fire" 2) a sticker that says "do not use in your living room" 3) a sticker that say "don't leave unattended" 4) a sticker that says "do not attempt to use in a hurricane" 5) a sticker that says " discard when rust makes holes in the sheet metal" 6) a sticker that says "only use in the upright position" 7) a sticker that says "do not attempt to use this on a boat in the wind or otherwise" 8) a sticker that says "caution, these stickers will melt and burn" 9) a sticker that says "not to be used as a toy for kids" 10) a sticker that says " not to be used for climbing on"
    ...See More

Anyone used an appliance outlet store for their kitchen appliances?

Q

Comments (15)
    I have had good & bad expriences buying from an outlet store or scratch & dent sale. I had a good experience buying a srctah -n -dent off a box floor sale. Stove still working 5 years, using daily. I had a horrible experience buying from an outlet store. The dish washer I bought still in box, but found out it was defective on 1st use. It kept locking half cycle, etc. I tried to return it 3 days later, but found out I had to do a bunch of hoops to try to return. What a nightmare. The outlet stor sent a technician out. Technician says it is defective motherboard & it would cost more to fix than exchange for new one. So, I called to return. Then told I would have to fix it, sold as is, nothing wrong, ignores, etc. I posted a bad review of experience, then finally higher management apologized & aaccepted return. So, after that I am weary to buy from an outlet. Like someone mentioned, a lot of outlets are returns from another customer. There's a reason. It may be wrong color, but if you see more of those models there, that's a huge red flag it's that model which must have smething more wrong with it. It could also be overstock, if lucky that is what it is. It's kind of a gamble. so due your deligence & research on each purchase to lower your risk: research each model # with manufacturer (like M suggested) read the return policy & contract fully buy where return policy give some time to use appliance & return if it does not work properly buy with credit card that extends warranty. Read all terms & conditions of buying "as is" products in all your warranties. Learn how the warranty works. Some warranties extend other warranty some offer to fix if shipped but you got to pay all shipping, some offer store credit or full refund. Some are a waste of money some are worth the money.
    ...See More
  • chris2009
    15 years ago

So, all the local retailers tell me the internet guys "aren't authorized." But is that correct, because all of them seem to advertise that they are authorized dealers of most products which they sell. Who does the warranty work for an internet seller?

• dreamywhite
    15 years ago

I have checked out ajmadison they have a great website but are very overpriced. Google the model number of the product you want and there are several online stores out there that have it for cheaper with free shipping and no tax

• vizslalover
    15 years ago

Actually some of the prices on AJ Madison are very good. I searched thoroughly for my mom's double ovens, cooktop and hood and AJ Madison had the best overall price (including shipping, etc...and the no tax factor depends totally on what state you're in vs. the seller) for all of them. This isn't necessarily true of all items though.

Anyway, I ordered the 3 items mentioned above for my mom through AJ Madison. They were all shipped by truck from NY to CA without a hitch. The whole process was very painless though the shipping wasn't super fast (but it was going cross country on a truck. They did leave the warehouse within a day or two of the order). I'd say our experience was very good and she saved enough over prices she would have paid locally to afford granite instead of tile for the counters (and get SS appliances when she thought she could only afford white). But do check the price for your particular item.

• berf
    15 years ago

in answer to the warranty service question--I called the manufacturers/us distributors of my appliances prior to buying from ajmadison and was given names of local service providers who will do the warranty service if necessary. Can't speak to all brands but this was in relation to my fratelli onofri range, futuro futuro hood, and summit fridge. ajmadison had the best prices available on those three items in particular at the time I bought them, and shipped for free...although I'm sure that varies and a smart consumer should of course shop around.

• dreamywhite
    15 years ago

vizslalover - did they unload the appliances into your garage or did you have to have men waiting there to unload? Just curious how to get the appliances off the truck. I know with my butherblock I have to have a group waiting to get it off the truck which is frusterating since most people work during the daytime. Thanks!

• bichonluver3
    15 years ago

Bought my Electrolux Icon Pro kitchen from Big George's online and saved $4,000 over anyone else, even though I was told there could be no discount on Electrolux appliances. I even got a garbage disposal for free!

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

I bought the 36" Bertazzoni from AJ Madison. The price is the same all over the internet, but they're in NY and I'm in NJ, so no tax and they did a great (clean, safe) job moving it in. I wasn't ready for the install, so they didn't do install. But it was a pretty easy install anyway. No complaints.

• mojua
    15 years ago

I received a 12" stainless backsplash from AJ Madison today. Price was excellent, placed the order online last Wednesday, THEY called me to confirm the order on Thursday, the item shipped that day, and it arrived today. For what it's worth, I'm getting my appliances locally, but was considering AJ Madison at one point, and in talking with the sales rep, got the sense that the guy was VERY willing to make me a 'deal' if I bought all my appliances through them...never made it as far as pricing, but the sales guy was falling all over himself to give me (apparently) a great deal...kept saying, "just let me know what you need and I make sure my manager approves a great price..." Guess my point is that if you're considering them, especially for a large order, talk to someone and see if they can sharpen their pencil for you...

• dreamywhite
    15 years ago

mojua - great advice didn't even think of that. Please someone post if you bought a large appliance from them - did they get it off the delivery truck for you and place it either in your house or garage? I do love the free shipping and NO TAX!!

• berf
    15 years ago

They offloaded my 36" Fratelli stove into the house. We weren't ready to install so it sat in my living room on a pallet wrapped in plastic for two months--and then my contractors (gc, plumber and electrician) worked together to install it...very straightforward.

• scootermom
    15 years ago

I just ordered a convection microwave from them yesterday, for a lot less than I could get it locally. I even called the local shops to see if they could come anywhere close to the AJM price, and they couldn't.

I can't say how the service is yet, but will let you know.

As for tax, they didn't charge me any, but I live in Virginia, so they should have. I think if they don't charge it, you're supposed to pay it on your own -- I don't know if anybody checks up on that, but that's what I've been told. Anybody know about that? Not that I enjoy paying sales tax, but personal responsibility, etc....

Chris

• smilingjudy
    15 years ago

My service experience with them was HORRIBLE!! The information on their website for the item I ordered was misleading. When the item arrived, I knew right away it was wrong. Took forever to get a response from them. They finally agreed the product info was misleading, but weren't going to accept a return AT ALL! I finally convinced them to take it back, but they charged me a huge re-stocking fee. Their CS reps seem very unprofessional to me.

Just wanted to present the other side of the coin. Buyer beware. (FYI - I am not new to internet ordering or drop-ship delivery. I've remodeled two complete bathrooms, all with drop-shipped fixtures and parts. Also, my range and dishwasher were drop-shipped from ebay sellers.)

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for everyone's experience so far, I think to be on the side of caution I would just buy my fridge from Costco, even though they only have it in Stainless platinum not the real stainless. Costco also teamed up with a delivery service in my area which has reasonable rates.

• worldmom
    15 years ago

I haven't ordered from AJ, but all my appliances and several other large items have come via freight (ordered through eBay and other online sellers), and in all cases, they got them inside the door of my house (or garage) and waited while I inspected each piece. Also in all cases, they beat AJ Madison's prices.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

smilingjudy and worldmom... can you please share the ebay sellers you were happy with?

• coffeehaus
    15 years ago

Scootermom...as a fellow resident of The Old Dominion, I will tell you that a few years ago we bought some furniture from NC and it came by common carrier. No tax, right? Well, a year later we got a notice from the state that we owed back taxes on this purchase. Fortunately, we were able to just pay what we owed and apply for amnesty, so we didn't have to pay a penalty. Now, we keep careful records and claim ALL of our Internet purchases on our state tax form each year.

• scootermom
    15 years ago

Coffeehaus, thank you! We will make sure to claim it.

Chris

• sreeb
    15 years ago

Not sure if you already bought your refrigerator. I have a Samsung refrigerator and, after a year, the defrost heater in refrigeration side failed. It turns out that the heater is integral to the evaporator so a replacement part costs ~$200 and it is a sealed system repair. You need to evacuate the freon, unsolder the evaporator, solder in the new evaporator, pull a vacuum, recharge the freon, and check for leaks. This is beyond the skill set of the first level repair techs. With most other refrigerators, the heater is a costs under $100 and is easily replaced. A Samsung refrigerator became economically unrepairable the day it came off warranty. I'm not buying another Samsung refrigerator, not ever.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sreeb, I have not bought it yet, I was going to build my cabinet to the specs of a Samsung and get it a bit later though! Is yours the bottom drawer unit? I am disappointed to hear this because it seemed a bit slimmer than other fridges.

• marjen
    15 years ago

I ordered my Fratelli Onofri range from them in dec. Everything went smoothly. The range was brought into the house by the delivery crew. It was extremely well boxed and in perfect shape, no issues at all.

• sreeb
    15 years ago

Mine is a lower end double door. I have no knowledge if all of their models were done this way or if any of their current models still are. This was taking planned obsolescence to a whole new level and reflects, badly, on their design philosophy. I would do some extra research before purchasing.

• HU-691020524
    5 years ago

Don’t order from AJ Madison. My refrigerator was suppose to be here Tuesday. I keep calling them this is Saturday and I still haven’t got it. I call them everyday they don’t seem to no where it’s at. I call the shipping company and get an answering machine and they never call me back.

• rose kampert
    5 years ago

They are terrible, Customer service the worst. There is no getting anyone on the line. I spent almost 7K, was shipped the wrong color stove in July and they still have not resolved it.

• Ashley S
    3 years ago

This company needs to close. Their customer service is non-existant & from all the bad reviews, I see you will have a horrible delivery experience as well as damaged items never being taken care of. I just hope they close.

• Franny
    2 years ago

I order a washer and dryer in Feburary

and paid for it. They sent two washers, so i did not accept it. Now I still haven't recieved them. I hace been asking the delivery service and they

keep saying that they are looking into it.

I have been getting put on hold when i call AJMadison. The salesman, Meir Berdugo @ 800 570-3355 x 1903

does mot answer my emails or call!

It is now June 24, 2021.

Ripped off in Taos, NM

Frances

• Franny
    2 years ago

Worst of the worst

• Carrol Magder
    2 years ago

Did you get your bank or credit card or Paypal to reverse the charges for the washer and dryer?

• Franny
    2 years ago

Ripped off, never delivered!

• Franny
    2 years ago

No, I’m going to do that next. Hope they can do that. I purchased in Febuary.

• Franny
    2 years ago

Finally got my money back after

contac my bank. And countless emails to AJ madison. Never again, worst customer service ever.

• Circus Peanut
    2 years ago

I ordered a pricey new kitchen faucet (Rohl) from them this April and was given an exact May shipping date. Waited until 10 days after this date had passed, and only when I contacted them did they tell me the model I ordered had been discontinued. (It is still listed on their site, hmm.) Not sure when they were planning on notifying me of that fact.

So, not an overall stellar experience, although their CS was very prompt at responding when I initiated the contact, and perfectly pleasant.

• Jessica
    2 years ago

I never give bad reviews, particularly right now with supply chain being so problematic. However, I have had such a terrible, terrible experience with this company I cannot justify not warning people about it. It has been dreadful with so much time wasted and a refrigerator door that arrived badly damaged after months and months and months of waiting. Do NOT work with this company. It was a huge mistake. :( Any financial savings has been eaten up in time, energy, and frustration. I should have gone with a local appliance company.

• Keisha Moore
    2 years ago

I am very frustrated with them. On July 19 I ordered a gas cooktop. The shipment is lost. I have been trying to contact them for over two weeks. Every time I call I am on hold for over an hour, then they hang up or disconnect my call. It took 20 tries to get an e-mail message sent to them. They did contact me this morning, asking if I wanted a replacement or a refund. We will now see how long it takes for them to refund my money.

• HU-449024464
    2 years ago

They are truly a disaster. Most of the items arrive damaged and you will be unable to reach anyone to file a claim. I wouldn’t buy a stick of gum from them.

• Terry Reed
    last year

We spent $20,000 over the last three years with AJ Madison outfitting our guesthouse and home. All new washer/dryer (Bosch and GE), dishwashers (Bosch and GE), stoves, and refrigerators—the works. The dishwasher in our house never worked right. We had technicians out five times in the first six months before I contacted AJ Madison. I emailed the sales agent I had dealt with for all of the purchases. She referred me to Kellee in the “Client Experience” department. This is the email I got from her:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. We apologize to hear you are having troubles with the unit. While AJ Madison offers a 30 day return window on un-used and un-installed items, the manufacturer provides a full year of coverage. Should the technician deem the unit non-repairable, GE with authorize a direct replacement and organize the exchange. Should you have any additional questions, please give GE a call at

Since I purchased AJ Madison’s “White Glove” delivery service and had it installed, this absolved AJ Madison of any responsibility, from their point of view. Lesson learned: don’t bother with their delivery service which was mediocre at best. Better to use someone local that you know and trust. Anyway, AJ Madison’s “30-Day guarantee” is worthless if had your appliance installed. How would someone know the appliance was defective if they had not installed it? I responded that I bought my dishwasher from AJ Madison, and I expected them to replace a defective product they sold, just as when I bought a KitchenAid mixer from Target and it went out two months afterward. I took it back to Target and they replaced it on the spot. The next email I received from AJ Madison informed me that if I continued to have trouble, they would be happy to call on my behalf to schedule service. I can do that. I DID do that, several times. After this, I never heard another word from them. I thought a retailer with the bulk of appliances they sell, that AJ Madison would have the bargaining muscle to take care of their customers; obviously, that’s not the case. Several friends had urged me to use Best Buy, Lowes, or Home Depot, which take back appliances that are defective, but I thought I’d support a lesser-known supplier for better service—my mistake. I’m so sorry I ever dealt with AJ Madison. They don’t stand behind their appliances and they don’t stand behind their word.

• RoyHobbs
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Terry Reed - why didn’t you contact the manufacturer of the defective dishwasher? The manufacturer provides the warranty. You also said it was over a period of 3 years. Since you said ”it never worked right”, how old was the dishwasher that was giving you problems? From what you said, you bought $20,000 worth of appliances over 3 years, and one dishwasher (perhaps 3 years old) out of those appliances was bad. Not sure you can be so angry at AJMadison. They state their coverage from the getgo, and it was your decision to buy from them anyway.

• S Shr
    last year

I had a similar (bad) experience with AJ Madison recently with F&P dishwasher drawer. I should have done my research here before I made the purchase. I tried to leave a review on their site but it was "moderated" and deemed "did not meet all our website guidelines". This explains all the positive or NO reviews in their website. STAY AWAY FROM AJMADISON!!!

This was my review. I am working with F&P now since AJ was of little help.

-----

I purchased the unit late November and due to delays in the renovation project due to holidays I did not get to install it until mid January. During installation I found that the drawer would not close because of a dent at the bottom of the unit. This was when I unpacked the unit from the original packaging so clearly it was damaged during shipping. The outer shell of the unit is made of a flimsy sheet of metal so I am not surprised it was damaged.

I reached out to AJ Madison to get help.. they tried to work with F&P but because of the 30 day policy they could not offer a replacement. They mentioned I should have inspected it after delivery. Ok perhaps I should have.. But the dent was at the bottom of the unit. Not in a million years would I have turned the unit upside down to inspect the bottom. Even my plumber only realized it when trying to test it after installation. AJ Madison offered to send a technician but I would have to pay for the repair. Sorry, but I expected better when I purchase a luxury brand from a (not so) reputed seller. Not sure who should have helped me here. Overall, it’s been a pretty stressful and bad experience. Would I buy an expensive product online/from AJ Madison again? Most likely not.

• David Phalstaf
    last month

Do not trust the delivery date. I contacted the seller once the delivery date indicated when I bought it had passed and the order was still in 'processing'. I was told the product was being shipped to their warehouse and should arrive in 5 to 8 business days and then should be delivered to my home within 2 business days after that. 2 weeks after expected!! When I asked if I could cancel due to it being late, I was told that I would have to pay a fee. I asked why I needed to pay a fee if the delay was their fault and was told the delivery date is an estimate and I am still held to paying the fee if I cancel. I am now stuck waiting 2+ additional weeks without a dishwasher. I will never do business with this company again.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath