SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyinaustin

Replace a new fridge with a used counter-depth refrigerator?

Amy Austin
11 years ago

We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and were initially planning to keep our current refrigerator. It's a Kenmore bottom freezer we bought 3 years ago that is quiet, efficient, and meets our needs fine.

However, our kitchen is tiny and the more I play with layouts the more I fantasize about a counter-depth fridge. Those 6 inches of space really would make a difference in the room.

BUT, of course, there's no way I can justify throwing down $7k+ on a SubZero or Liebherr. I have, however, found a few used options that I'm considering:

The first one is a new, stainless steel, never-been-installed Liebherr cs2602. It's recommend by Consumer Reports, gets good reviews on AJ Madison...It has a dent and no icemaker, neither of which bother me one iota. $3k + my current fridge for delivery and installation.

Second option is a 1999 KitchenAid side by side ksss36qdx. The benefit to this one is, predictably, the much lower price tag, $1.8k, and that it's built in and panel ready. Call me crazy, but I don't think stainless is right for our house.

Both come with 1 year parts and labor warranty. The dealer is smart and reputable.

Is the 14 year old Kitchen Aid worth considering? I'm told it was a solid model and is affordable to repair and find parts for.

Alternatively, can I expect the Liebherr to be considerably better than a new counter-depth fridge like the comparably-priced KitchenAid 21.8 counter-depth model?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Comments (9)