SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Pics of my Cottageware Collection

lynninnewmexico
14 years ago

Karen asked for pics of our various collections.

My Cottageware collection is mainly pieces from the Forties & Fifties. My favs are either from England or from Occupied Japan. I inherited a number of them from my grandmother, but the biscuit box and coffee pot are among my newer finds. I like how the painting echos the feeling of the Cottageware. I mentioned earlier that I keep them in my kitchen. I misspoke; when not in use I store them in my laundry room above the cabs in there. I keep my Fruitware collection (forgot to mention that one) in my glass-fronted kitchen cabs, but have a few pieces here with my Cottageware. I wasn't alive in the Forties, but know that rickrack was a big thing back then, so I added it to the baskets on my display shelf up there.

{{gwi:1404967}}

I thought that pastel cake stands would be a good way to raise up and focus attention on some of my favorite pieces, as well as adding more of the Cottage atmosphere. (I've since taken out the doll's chair)

{{gwi:1404969}}

{{gwi:1404970}}

And here's a pic of one of my tablescapes using some of my Cottageware. The biscuit box is the one on the footed green cake stand. The coffee pot is the tall one on the right. Between them is one of my grandmother's pieces, salt & pepper shakers and toothpick holder on their narrow tray:

{{gwi:1404972}}

I realize that these next pics are not part of this collection, but wanted you to understand why I have (basically) kitchen pieces in my laundry room (LOL!). Despite living here in New Mexico and really liking my Southwest home, I was raised in Michigan and spent much of my summers, at our family's summerhouse on Lake St.Clair in Ontario, Canada. So, I still really have a huge thing for Cottage decor. I finally decided that our laundry room was going to have to be my outlet for that. Along with my Cottageware in there, I have this wonderful clothespin bag hanging on the wall now. I found it on Ebay.

{{gwi:1404973}}

I found this great retro cottage clock online, too . . . although just this week I saw similar ones in Target! I have this hanging over the door to the garage in there.

{{gwi:1404974}}

Above the door to the hall, I have these plates that hung in our kitchen at our place on the lake. I've always loved them.

I may or may not keep this large framed photograph in here, but I've hung it for now. We had a lot of geraniums at our summerhouse, inside and out, and they're one of my favorite flowers.

I don't have pics of the entire laundry room yet, as it's still a work in progress, but I've printed up (in b&w) some pictures of my family at our summerhouse when I was little, framed them in old looking wood frames that are the same color as the clock and have them hanging in my laundry room now, as well. I still need to paint the walls and the cabinets and add some Retro knobs to them . . . and then have you all find me the perfect Cottage rug for the floor.

OK, so know you know the madness behind this collection of mine ;^D

Lynn

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions