SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olivesmom_gw

How much slope is too much?

olivesmom
11 years ago

We have found a lot that is a really great price, but it has some slope. I'm sure part of the reason for the low price is due to the slope, just wondering how much of a problem it would be to build on it.

The property is about 8.5 acres and in the shape a long rectangle. The short sides are the north and south boundaries. The property slopes uphill to the south as there is a small mountain (foothill really) towards the back. Looking at the elevation maps the property starts off at about 900 ft and and the rear is 1200 ft. The center if the property, most likely where I would want to build is about 1000-1050 ft.

There is a view to the north so a drive under garage style house might be a consideration. I have lived in one before, so I am well aware of the problems they present. Not sure how much more they cost in terms of foundation engineering.

So does that sound like a lot of slope? Would it be substantially more expensive to build on? The property seems to be okay otherwise. Listing states that the critical areas designation was completed (now expired), soil perc was "good". Well has not been drilled, but I doubt there would be an issue with that.

Slope aside, the lot is near some major power lines which bothers me. However, many of the lots in the area have the same proximity to the lines so I just have to decide what I'm comfortable with. The potential for a view is really appealing, as it the size of the lot. For those who who have followed any of my recent postings, the price is low enough that we could pay cash now but we would not be building on it for several years.

Comments (19)

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Of course the priorities and final decision are yours. Your description raises questions in my mind as to whether or not I would purchase this property:

--How is the lot accessed? A view to the north and access from the north means that the "open" side of the house to take advantage of the view is also the public side of the house where visitors and passers-by can see into the house.
    --Where is the lot located and what are the climatic conditions, specifically the heating-degree days? A north facing house means no direct natural light and no chance for use of sunlight for passive energy. If winter storms (rain or snow) come from the north and the house opens to the north, that becomes a very bad condition for energy efficiency and operating the house.
    --Sloping terrain often means multi-level construction. Is your physical condition and energy compatible with lots of stair usage throughout the day? Day after day? Lugging groceries and shopping items up more than one flight of stairs?
    --Sloping terrain can result in some dramatic house designs for custom designed houses that are designed specifically for the site and its particular slope. Usually downhill sloping houses are more comfortable than uphill sloping houses, so try for a design that enters the house "high" and flows down, rather than vice versa.
    --Sloping terrain means forgetting stock plans from the house plan factories. None of them are designed for a site such as you are considering. Find an architect! If using an architect scares you, or you think it may not be in your budget, find another lot that will be simpler to build on!
    --Trying to adapt a stock house plan designed for a flat lot to a sloping lot automatically means substantial excavation for a foundation that will be "at grade" on the uphill side, and may be a full story or more in height on the downhill side--a very expensive foundation which would be the equivalent of a "walk-out" basement, but with the added challenges of waterproofing against all of the downhill flow of surface and subsurface water. In such site conditions, one would want to know about the rocks and difficulty of excavation, proper waterproofing for pressure-driven water, sump pump and emergency power. And then there's all of the downhill foundation/basement wall on view!
    --If you can build where the power lines are not visible from your site, that's a good thing. If there are no reasonable building sites where the power lines are not visible, then look for another lot. Who wants to look at power lines for 20-30 years!
    --Does your lot have utilities? Will you have to pay to bring them to your lot? I'm assuming that natural gas, water and sewer lines are unavailable, thus you should check with neighboring properties and your county agricultural agent to see what you can learn about the type and cost of necessary utilities. They will give you a sense of the range of options for well depth, septic leach field extent, presence of sub-surface streams, etc.
    --An all-electric house means a need for a very energy-efficient house (electrical power is expensive, but not as much as fuel oil or propane in many areas), so you should be thinking and reading about "tight" energy-efficient construction. If power outages are common during storms, you will also want to think about the options for an emergency generator to be included in your design.
    --How is adjacent property zoned? Will it be possible for someone to open a quarry or oil refinery next door? Do you care what's next door and the views, odors, road traffic, etc. of neighboring properties?

Lots to consider when thinking about land. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

--

• _henry Henry
    11 years ago

Virgil made some excellent points.

We recently purchased a lot on a mountain after four years of painstaking research. We learned a lot! We also saw others buy lots that turned out to be unbuildable within their budget.
    How wide is the lot? Too narrow and it may be difficult to put in a driveway with a reasonable slope.
    Do not assume it will be easy to find water. Ask the neighbors how deep they drilled, what flow rate they have.
    Check with the county to see what ordinances govern building on steep slopes. They may have introduced more restrictive rules since the neighbors built.
    If you can provide the lot dimensions, or one of them, I can calculate the average slope of the lot and comment on potential problems

This post was edited by -henry on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 9:37

• Related Discussions

slope of shower bench - is 3/4 in too much?

Q

Comments (2)
    For a solid, granite seat, 1/4" per foot is the minimum. That's what a pan is sloped to and the water drains just fine. I certainly can't see you needing more than that......
    ...See More

how much is too much? how much is too little?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks so much, Homebody! Although it has not ALWAYS been FUN, we have really enjoyed this house project. I hope your dream comes true very soon...and cannot wait to see pics of your home too! =) I have enjoyed hearing about this Beadboard Wallpaper. I am wondering if those of you who have used it think it will withstand the MAJOR moisture of our 2 young sons' bathroom??? Is this paintable so it can be sealed? I am worrying what the spattering and running drips of water near the pedestal sink will do to it over time if not 'sealed' with paint???? I am still curious about the 'rules' in my initial question as well as these points about beadboard wallpaper. Thanks for the input =)
    ...See More

How much rain is too much?

Q

Comments (15)
    Tomorrow we start what promises to be the biggest storm in decades. Three to four inches in the Los Angeles basin from mid morning till Saturday afternoon. Should be plenty of flash floods and landslides to go around plus some strong winds will bring soggy trees down. I worked the last big one in February 1979 and got sixty hours of overtime starting on a Thursday night through the middle of the next week. We just cut them so we could move them off the road and a tractor would come later to pick them up.
    ...See More

How much is too much to spend on a kitchen remodel?

Q

Comments (16)
    Is this an area of flat ceiling that is 6'5" or does it slant down to 6'5" over part if it. In my location if the lowered portion is over counter areas or fixtures and not in areas where one walks, or is a soffit-type drop that doesn't involve the entire ceiling it is sometimes allowable, although 7' is the minimum ceiling height in kitchens and bathrooms in my location, technically. However I live in an area with extremely old and small housing stock where a kitchen and bath were often added as a lean-to type structure on the back of a house that originally did not have one. Alternately some very large houses with high ceilings (commonly 14') on the first floor were lofted with a kitchen above or below and a bath above or below the loft portion, resulting in two areas of ceiling height of about 6'6". These areas are grandfathered in terms of already preexisting conditions and the envelope is grandfathered allowing a remodeled kitchen or bath in the same space. (As long as the undersized structure is sound). I've done and seen done permitted remodels under these conditions. Because if they weren't permitted, lots of housing stock would be "uninhabitable" and the entire lot size would need to be changed in order to build currently fully compliant housing--many lots are too small to build something compliant. Brand new construction of multiple units often demands the demolition of say 5 houses and replacement with 4. I doubt my situation is applicable in many areas but the point is that existing conditions will be grandfathered locally. This would never fly in someplace like California for example So your locale may grandfather some preexisting conditions if they complied at some past time, to avoid the necessity of complete demolition of a portion of the house. (If the structure is sound, otherwise).
    ...See More
  • User
    11 years ago

Move on.

• _henry Henry
    11 years ago

Is the photo taken facing north?

This post was edited by -henry on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 15:38

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Lots like that are the norm here in western PA...

• olivesmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Henry: I was standing at the north boundary of the property when I took the photo, so I was facing south.

Here are some of the listing photos. This is the view to the north:

This one is zoomed in, you can really see the power lines here.

Looking north west I think:

Looking north east maybe:

Further up on the property facing south I think:

This post was edited by olivesmom on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 16:15

• olivesmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Virgil: You raise some good points

-RE: Privacy I do not think the front (north) side of the home will be exposed to the street due to the trees and how far back we could potentially place the house.

- RE: Climate I am located in the pacific northwest, outside of Seattle. Right now we are having a bit of a cold spell, in the upper 20's to low 30's. Generally our winters are mild, gray and rainy. Heat can be on oct- June, but it's not really that cold.

If the backyard of the house was cleared enough, wouldn't we get sun on the south facing portion of the home? Regardless of the lot, it was my plan to have the front of our next home to face north, with the backside facing south.

-RE: Multi level construction. My husband and I are in our early thirties. Stairs aren't an issue at this point in time. I have lived in a home with an uphill slope (drive under garage with two stories on top). One set of stairs from the garage to the main level doesn't bother me. More than that would and I have lived in such a home, a very narrow town home in the city - never again!

I have also seen some plans that have a drive under garage and another to the side on the main level. That might be more appealing.

I'm not sure how common multi-level, drive-under garages are in other parts of the country, but here in the Seattle area they are not uncommon. One of the Architecture firms out here that many of the builders use have several of these sort of plans. In fact, the drive under home I lived in previously was one of theirs. So while we will need some specific foundation engineering and modifications, we might be able to get away with a stock plan.

- RE: Power lines. The power lines are an issue, I'm just not sure how big of one. In the listing photos I'm posted above you can see the lines. Im not sure how visible they would be from a deck at an even higher elevation then those photos.

-RE: Utilities. Power and phone are in at the street. The lot will need septic and a well. Another concern I have is the cost to run the power to the middle of the lot.

RE: Zoning. I need to find out more on this, the lots adjacent to this one are all zoned residential. Behind this lot is the mountain, which I think is a protected Forrest (need to confirm) Across the street is zoned "mineral" and actually there is a quarry, lol. It's more of a gravel lot though, not like the real quarries I've seen elsewhere in the country. I need to spend more time at the property to observe how much can be heard, but I think the truck noise will be the worst. What ive described sounds worse than it is and the power lines actually provide somewhat of a buffer, and then there are all the trees in this property. I need to investigate some more for sure.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

From your photos it appears that portions of the lot are quite steep, but a few areas look buildable without major effort (assuming the area in the photograph is deep and wide enough).

I'd walk the property, front to back and side to side, before spending much more time on it. The next step (if there is one) is to check on regulatory controls. A power line across your property most likely means a no-build permanent easement is there. If you can find a buildable site far enough away to be screened by existing trees it should not be a major issue. Of course, if the power lines are at the front of your property, that means a greater distance for access road, electrical and telephone (in other words, greater site development expense).

When you check with the regulatory agency, verify the size of the leach field for a septic system, and add that to the size of the house in order to estimate the size of an overall buildable area that will be required to be cleared.

Good luck on your project.

• rrah
    11 years ago

Regarding a quarry--just because it's a gravel lot today with little activity or noise does not mean it will be a gravel lot forever. There is the potential there for lots of heavy machinery, blasting, and rock crushers.

That alone would cause me to keep looking.

• olivesmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay so I got the letters from the county indicating that there is space towards the rear of the property that can be built on. The septic is in question though. A topographical map needs to be done and some sort of soil observation study. The soil study was quoted $3-4,000 in 2007. I have no idea how much the mapping would cost, and then there's the well.

What is the normal process for buying a lot? Are offers typically made contingent upon obtaining suitable soil tests, well results, etc.? Do buyers typically have to invest several thousands into raw land just to determine if they want to buy it?

Virgi: I should clarify, the power lines are not on the property. They are across the street and can be viewed somewhat.

Rrah: the actual gravel pit is some distance from the property I'm looking at. I need to do more research, but I don't think a gravel pit is as bad as other types of quarries. I think some gravel pits do blast, but I couldn't find much information. You cannot see the gravel pit from the road. Across the strees is a patch of tall evergreens, then the power lines, and behind that way, way back is the gravel pit.

Here is a screen shot of the property showing the proximity to the power lines and gravel pit. The property is in yellow (this is just a portion of the property, as it is actually two lots). The power lines and buffer cut across at an angle. The gravel pit is just past the power lines, the oddly shaped sandy spot.

I forgot to add that I checked and the area to the south (rear) of the property is indeed protected and will remain undeveloped.

This post was edited by olivesmom on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 19:13

• _henry Henry
    11 years ago

The power easement is huge. I would be concerned that the utility might decide it needs to add more lines in the future and build them higher. If you decide to purchase you might want to investigate the easement further.

Regarding contingencies you can include anything that you consider important. For example, we discovered that some of our neighbors had to drill two or three wells before hitting water. We made our offer contingent on drilling a productive well and specified minimum flow rate and maximum depth.

Ten acres is large enough to have encroachments that are not obvious without a boundary survey so that became a contingency too.

We spent about 10k prior to purchase, but better to find out before purchase than after. Imagine trying to sell a lot that has one or more dry wells. None of the 10k was wasted as we would have had to spend it later anyway.

If soil tests are required to determine load bearing capability, then better to make that a contingency too.

A new septic test should be done regardless of a prior old test. Ideally you want a soil that percs for a conventional system in a location convenient to your house site. If the soil is poor you may be required to install a more expensive system. Again, better to know this upfront. It may even help in the negotiations.

Good luck!

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

AT first glance at the aerial photo, this property does not appear to be ideally located. The power line easement and the quarry across the road are big negatives, IMO. Unless the property is extremely reasonably priced, I'd be skeptical about it.

Lots of good advice above about prior purchase investigations and/or contingencies for the purchase agreement. I'd focus on due diligence with the regulatory agency to learn what has to be done (and the cost) to make the lot buildable.

Good luck!

• zone4newby
    11 years ago

I would walk away based on the quarry. What if they start blasting? Also, if you are THAT close to a quarry, odds are good that there's a lot of rock in your soil too, which can make digging a foundation pricey. We lived about a mile from a quarry once, and when a field nearby was developed, the builder had to blast to dig the foundations. It was pretty unpleasant to live near the blasting, and I'm sure paying for it wasn't great either (but this was in Northern Virginia at the height of the housing boom).

I would also look at how water flows on the property, especially given that you live in the rainy Northwest. You don't want to build where rainwater flows towards your foundation. I know that it's possible to regrade, but I wouldn't want to be constantly fighting nature in that way. The road could be widened in the future, people across the street could cut down trees and put in large driveways... You can sue if people send too much run-off onto your property, but it would be better not to have to.

Also-- I would seriously think about how busy that road is likely to become. It looks like the kind of street that could become much busier as time passes. I have friends who live off of similar roads and one lost her dog in a car accident. None of them let their kids near the road, because people drive past at 50+ mph. I would be especially nervous if it got a lot of heavy truck traffic.

• olivesmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree that the lot isn't ideally located. Unfortunately though, the power lines are a problem in the area I'm looking at. There are two other lots I'm considering and they are both close to the lines, though not as close as this one and you cannot see the lines at all from those lots. The other two lots don't have any sort of view however, are smaller, have their own issues and are 125-230K more. This lot is priced extrememly low.

I plan to go back to the lot when we get some good weather and walk around. No matter what, the soil testing that needs to be done can only be done in Dec/Jan so IF we were going to move forward with this lot it wouldn't be for a while anyway. Before the soil testing the lots needs to be mapped and the gravel road needs to be cleaned up, so there's that too.

The road that this lot is on isn't likely to be widened. The road loops around and the area is all zoned for a very low residential rate. The county purchased multiple lots and preserved them under some city development program, so nothing will be built on them.

As I mentioned, we won't be building for a few years so there's no rush. This lot, with it's low price, could be paid for in cash. Whereas the other lots would require financing. Lots don't move very quickly here so I don't fell any pressure to make a decision. In the meantime I'm going to try to find out more about the gravel pit.

This post was edited by olivesmom on Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 16:30

• rrah
    11 years ago

i said it in my earlier post, but I will say it again. I would immediately walk based upon the quarry. As zone4newby pointed out, and as I tried to earlier, quarries can change. My own experience is another case where things changed.

H and I did a great deal of due diligence prior to our last build. We checked the zoning of all the nearby properties within a couple of miles. We're in a semi-rural area. We made sure we understood exactly what could happen with each zoning classification. We thought we had it covered. What we did not know, and the county didn't tell us, was that years ago properties zoned for agriculture could dig rock (a quarry). Being new to the area, that was the question we did not think to ask. When the zoning changed some of those properties were grandfathered in to be quarries if need be in the future. None existed at the time of our build. Since then an old farm, a mile away, has discovered it contains a very specific type of rock needed to clean up some kind of superfund site in an adjacent county. This type of rock is some what rare. Five years ago or so, the lovely farm on the nearby hillside became a very active quarry. That first summer they ran rock crushers 24/7. We could not hear it inside but our neighbors did. We could not enjoy the outside that summer with the constant hum of the crusher a mile away. (Not across the street) It was quite the fight to get it stopped. Today,, at least once a week, we hear the blasting going on. It's pretty disturbing. Even concerns about a nearby watershed expressed by the county, the department of natural resources, the neighbors, etc. could not stop it because the rock was needed.

BTW-if there is gravel, it's pretty likely they use a rock crusher.

• _henry Henry
    11 years ago

A useful tool when looking at properties is the county GIS, if that county has one. It can give you information that is in the public domain such as previous sales history, assessed tax value, soil stability, etc.

For example, say you are looking in King County WA, the attached link is for the King County GIS where you can either zoom down to the lot in question, or enter the address in search. Then click on the lot, you can then view the property report and so on. Many counties have this online software, easy to find thru Google.

Here is a link that might be useful: GIS

• zone4newby
    11 years ago

Ooh-- you can find a lot of information about the slope, soil structure, etc... using the USDA Soil Survey app. You can select your lot, and then look at all kinds of different information about it. It's a free online app.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Soilweb

• User
    11 years ago

The hillier the lot, the more money that the build will consume. The less amenities that the lot has, the more money that the build will consume. And all of the money that we're talking about here will be "invisible" money. Money to bring in the electric, dig the septic, dig the well, to do the earthwork needed to create a flat enough and stable enough spot to build on and still manage to route away the water. There will be a big hole in the ground that all of your nice wood flooring and granite countertops gets spent on, and you have to be OK with that probability.

If you are on a budget, the best money that you can spend is on a good buildable lot that already has much of the infrastructure done. It's just more money up front that's all. Better to have to spend that money there than to (surpise!) have to come up with it because you've encountered unmovable rock right where the basement needs to be dug.

And after you've poured all of that money into the big hole in the ground, if the quarry changes operations and becomes busier, you can kiss all of that money goodbye. You'll never be able to sell at anywhere close to what it cost you to build.