SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pagirl_gw

Question re vapor barrier - I read all the other posts

pagirl
15 years ago

Hi,

I have been reading this board for quite a while getting ready to put in a bathroom in an unfinished basement on a concrete subfloor. We have done all the plumbing and electrical and are getting ready to do the tiling etc.

My question is this. We are in central PA. We have a walk out basement with poured concrete walls and 9FT ceilings. We have studded out the frame with 2x4s. We stapled a poly barrier to the studs and then put them up so the poly barrier is between the studs and the concrete wall. We now are going to be putting the R13 insulation around the walls. We are building our own shower and want to know if the proper process is concrete wall, poly, studs, R13, poly, hardiebacker? Do we need to put slits in the poly?

Also, as we are tiling straight onto the concrete floor, do I need to let the poly barrier go down below the hardie to under the floor tile area or not? We are not concerned so much about moisture through the floor as we are in the basement, but if you have a recommendation about putting something else under the floor tile, I would be happy to know that as well.

I would really appreciate any help with this. We will then tile right onto the hardiebacker board following instructions from previous threads.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (6)