SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpgenius

Insulation & vapor barrier questions....... whats right/wrong?

jpgenius
16 years ago

My wife and I own a c. 1910 millworker home in Pittsburgh. We are starting to remodel the attic half-story to turn it into living space (an office and movie-room, specifically). Since the plaster was water-damaged near one of the dormers and we are tackling heating bills, we've decided to remove the lathe and plaster, remove the tiny closet, put some insulation in, and drywall. I LOVE reading posts here, and many of them have come in handy, but there are quite a few differing opinions regarding vapor barriers and blown-in insulation. So........here's my sitch: the attic is a half-story, has three foot knee walls and one dormer (its on the side of the house where the stairwell to the attic is) I have easy access to the wall spaces for blown-in insulation and I think cellulose is going to be my insulation du jour. My only concern is making sure its not going to cause any sweating. Anyone done this in a cold climate? The attic rafters are going to be fiberglass batting and rigid foam board (i have 5.5" rafters, so board and batt will get me close to what i want, at a non-second-mortgage cost). Should I vapor barrier, or use vapor retarder? Also, I assume I have to install venting between the peak of my room and whats behind my knee walls to keep my roof from rotting...how should i? There's a TON of opinion out there, and lots of it deals with attic floors being insulated, which isn't my case. Any advice/links/opinions will help a little more before I start. Happy Easter and many thanks!

Comments (6)