SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Installation Experts -- A question about cooktop modules

plllog
16 years ago

I'm down to two cooktop options, but have too much space and budget elasticity for my own good. There are two options that will deliver what I want: Four matched Gaggenau Vario 400 modular units or 1 Gaggenau, 1 Diva de Provence and 1 Wolf. The trick is to get a built-in griddle (the teppan yaki), 2 large, or 1 large/1 med./1 small induction, and a couple gas.

The Gaggenau four unit group is too much money and too much space, but it would look pretty and work well. The gas is open burner, however, and looks like a pain to clean. And it's more than I think I'll really need. I don't want to melt the enamel right off my pots :) But it should be excellent for cooking on.

The mix and match group has the teppan yaki, Wolf 2 burner (I really don't need the blast furnace of the wok) which is closed burner with the dual stack and has one small one that goes very low (a good feature for my purposes), and the Diva three induction, which is as powerful as the Gagg, but a lot smaller and cheaper, and I kind of like it better.. I investigated Cooktek, but would rather the the features and space requirements of residential units.

The question: How far apart do the units have to be if I get the mix and match option? I know the Gaggenaus can butt up to each other and will come up to 62" (approx.). I've tried to find info in the installation instructions and have only found out how far away the cabinets should be, not distance to another unit of another maker. Is an inch too close? 2"? Or do I need 5" like in the magazines? The three units are 24" + 12" + 15" = 51" total, so depending on how much space I need between, might end up the same size. What do you think?

Also, a salesman said I could deck mount the controls to the Gaggenau teppan yaki, even though they're designed to be on the cabinet face. Since the knobs connect by cords (not turning gas valves) I don't know why that wouldn't be true. Is this wrong?

Comments (2)