SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldhousegal

Soapstone Experts- cracking around cooktop, normal?

oldhousegal
12 years ago

My neighbors had soapstone installed over their Ikea cabinets late last year. Today, my friend noticed that she had a fissure in the middle of the cook top that one could feel with a finger both on top and under sides of stone. On closer inspection, I noticed cracks on each side of the cook top as if the stone cannot support the weight of the cook top and it's activities (heavy pots, etc). There is no frame supporting the cook top- only the stone. I looked at the cabinets and they appear to have a bit of a sway in the center, and the stone actually has some give to it when pressed down upon. Yikes!

A bit of background; these are Ikea cabinets installed by an Ikea installer. The soapstone is similar to Barroca with many talc veins throughout and definitely softer than my Belvedere stone, installed by a local granite shop and the installer did mention that he's not familiar with soapstone. This is an old house, so not sure if it was level prior to installation. The appliances were installed by the homeowner, and were used appliances without installation manuals. After cabinet and counter top install, it was all DIY.

My questions are: who is responsible for fixing?

Should stone fabricator have known to support the stone?

Should Ikea installer have gotten the cabinets level first?

Who should (or if they should) fix the fissures, and how?

How do we remedy the situation now? I suggested a 2x4 frame to support under the stone, is this an appropriate fix?

Here are some photos of the stone:

Left side of cook top

Middle fissure in talc line

TIA for your responses. These are good friends who got soapstone after they saw mine, and fell in love with it. I would hate for them to have ruined stone because of someone's mistake, and would like nothing more than the experts here to help us all through this!

Comments (9)